• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Direct debit abuse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct debit abuse

Sick of it.

They seem to be taking whatever amount of money whenever they like. Latest example: 6 monthly magazine subscription - now debited every 5 months on random days of the month.

It's about time other payment methods are given parity (i.e. none of those 'special' discounts for paying for direct debit).

Isn't there a direct debit agreement which means you just call your bank and they must refund the money if you disagree with the transaction? Or just cancel the direct debit?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

For the last few years I've always paid my Council Tax in full at the start of the Tax Year, mainly to avoid having to set up a Direct Debit (the only other option being to visit a council office each month to pay it in person).

On Friday I received a mailshot from the council exhorting me to set up a Direct Debit as it was "the easier way to pay."

WTF are they on about? How can DD be an "easier way" than just paying it all at once?

All the other flats got one too, so at least I know what they're wasting our money on

However I strongly suspect that the further letters that arrived the next day addressed to Flats 1 and 4 were to do with arrears, which the council are unlikely to collect now that the relevant occupants are either remanded in custody or on the run.

As for sending a letter to their cannabis farm that used to live in Flat 2...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        .. On Friday I received a mailshot from the council exhorting me to set up a Direct Debit as it was "the easier way to pay."

WTF are they on about? How can DD be an "easier way" than just paying it all at once? ..
        In fairness they didn't say "the easiest way to pay". It probably is easier than writing the amount on a cow and walking that round and trying to present it as a cheque.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          In fairness they didn't say "the easiest way to pay". It probably is easier than writing the amount on a cow and walking that round and trying to present it as a cheque.
          My mistake. I have the missive in front of me. I quote, with their formatting:

Switch to Direct Debit
          The easiest & most convenient way to pay your Council Tax

BTW, props for the reference to A P Herbert's Misleading Cases and the notable case of Board of Inland Revenue v Haddock

I confidently predict that somebody will quote vague details of that "case" as fact, somewhere on CUK within the next six months, probably attributing it to "something I read in the Telegraph a while back"
          Last edited by NickFitz; 12 January 2009, 03:21. Reason: Tidying formatting

Comment

DD's seem to work for most folks, NF.

Sign a form, then the bank and the company take care of the rest.

It's a no-brainer surely ?
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              DD's seem to work for most folks, NF.

Sign a form, then the bank and the company take care of the rest.

It's a no-brainer surely ?
              As I said earlier, paying the bill in full when I receive it seems to work for me.

It's a no-brainer surely?

Comment

Well, yes, both options are good surely, depending on circumstances.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

As I said earlier, paying the bill in full when I receive it seems to work for me.

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  Well, yes, both options are good surely, depending on circumstances.
                  Direct Debit works best for the organisation collecting the money. Provided they have enough customers it is more efficient (and therefore cheaper) than having to pay someone to deal with the luddites that want to send in a cheque.

Comment

It depends. They are earning interest on money you have paid them. You could have earned a few pence out of paying by DD. Could have made a difference between having that holiday or going to work.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X