• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how do i stop the bleeding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i stop the bleeding?

just cut the end of my thumb off with a kitchen knife.

can't stop the bleeding.

any bright ones?

ta, eo.
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Decapitated digits are no excuse for poor spelling and grammar.

If a plaster won't do the job, I'd suggest A&E if the top really is hanging off !
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Decapitated digits are no excuse for poor spelling and grammar.

If a plaster won't do the job, I'd suggest A&E if the top really is hanging off !
      have my spelling and grammar suffered? i thought it was just capitalisation that was affected.

it's not that bad - just the last 1/8 inch...
      The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
        just cut the end of my thumb off with a kitchen knife.

can't stop the bleeding.

any bright ones?

ta, eo.
        isn't the human body amazing? despite the fact that i have clearly cut several hundred capillaries, things are slowing down.

either that, or i have bled out.

Comment

Don't do that.

HTH

If you've cut off a sizeable chunk (i.e. not just a deep flesh wound but a miniature amputation) then retrieve the bit you chopped off, wrap it in gauze or something similar, and put it in a bag of ice. Then apply a sterile unmedicated dressing to the thumb, pack a few more dressings to cope with it oozing through on the journey, and get a taxi to A&E. Don't forget to take the bag with the bit along.

If it's more of a close shave then forget the bagging stuff and apply a tight dressing to it. Be very careful about the tightness: don't starve it completely of a blood supply, or you'll end up with gangrene and they'll have to take your arm off.

Useful tip for A&E: if you let it bleed all over the desk at reception, you'll probably get seen quicker, as they don't want you making the place more of a mess than it already is

EDIT: Standard disclaimers: I am not qualified to give this advice, and you may, or may not, be a fool for following, or failing to follow, it

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Don't do that.

HTH

If you've cut off a sizeable chunk (i.e. not just a deep flesh wound but a miniature amputation) then retrieve the bit you chopped off, wrap it in gauze or something similar, and put it in a bag of ice. Then apply a sterile unmedicated dressing to the thumb, pack a few more dressings to cope with it oozing through on the journey, and get a taxi to A&E. Don't forget to take the bag with the bit along.

If it's more of a close shave then forget the bagging stuff and apply a tight dressing to it. Be very careful about the tightness: don't starve it completely of a blood supply, or you'll end up with gangrene and they'll have to take your arm off.

Useful tip for A&E: if you let it bleed all over the desk at reception, you'll probably get seen quicker, as they don't want you making the place more of a mess than it already is
            it's not an a&e job - jush shaved he end off. like a twat.

don't have any plasters so have had to resort to kitchen roll and cling film...

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
              it's not an a&e job - jush shaved he end off. like a twat.

don't have any plasters so have had to resort to kitchen roll and cling film...
              I suppose that might work if you're out of Polyfilla

BTW, please take note of the important disclaimers appended to my previous post

Comment

kitchen roll and cling film...
                Sterile I hope ?

After staunching the blood flow, your next major hurdle is infection control.

Otherwise you are in serious trouble, if it balloons up, goes black and pus-ridden and needs clinical treatment.

You might need to give the thumb-sucking a rest for a while.

Doc's in the morning matey, just to get a Nurse to give it the once over, change dressing, etc.

Standard disclaimer from me as well, since although I work in the NHS, I'm not clinically trained. Clinically insane maybe...
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Go and see nursey, if you're lucky she might use some of that magical plastic skin to fix you up.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

How do I stop bleeding?

I dunno. I'll ask Mrs Gonzo. She seems to manage it once a month.

<HANGS HEAD IN SHAME >

Comment

Working...
                    X