• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This recession demands that we employ logic and spend our way out of it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This recession demands that we employ logic and spend our way out of it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...out-of-it.html

There are many uncertainties about the current situation but logic should not be one of them.

Yet I find that many people contemplating how we are going to escape from recession commit logical errors. I often hear: "We cannot hope to spend our way out of recession." Sorry, how else can we hope to escape from recession?

A recession is a situation in which output, spending and income are all below normal or below potential. If output and income are to go up then someone must spend more. There is simply no other way. As a matter of logic. The only sensible debate is about who should spend more, on what, and how they can be persuaded to do so.

If you think in terms of aggregates, there are four candidates to do the increased spending: consumers, companies, the government, and foreigners. And for the world as a whole, there are no foreigners. So if we say that governments cannot be allowed to borrow more, because they are too much in debt already or because they waste the money, then we are left with only two candidates.

If we also say that consumers cannot be expected to spend more because they need to repair their financial position, then we are down to only one: companies. If companies could be prodded into increasing their spending on investment that could be a good thing. But in current conditions the chances of getting companies to expand their spending are slim. They react to the state of demand, which at the moment looks dire.

So that's it, then. We are stuck with it. We had better learn to live with the recession. Or maybe even love it? After all, we brought it upon ourselves. It was thinking such as this which put the "Great" in the Great Depression.

We need to go back to the four candidates. Fortunately for us in the UK there is a real chance of getting some help by persuading foreigners to spend more on our output, or by us spending less on theirs (which comes to the same thing). We have been running a huge trade deficit for years and eradicating that would alone mean a boost to GDP of about 4pc.

I believe that this will eventually contribute the lion's share of the answer. For once our exports start picking up that will also be the spur to a surge in corporate investment. That is why the fall of the pound has been so important. It is part of the solution, not the problem. But the benefits of our increased competitiveness will take some time to come through. While the world economy is spiralling down I doubt that our exports can pick up. So the question is how to bridge the gap between now and then.

The answer to our troubles, we are often told, is a new frugality. Reduce government spending and borrowing. That is the way forward. Forward to where? The first mistake here is the confusion of two issues. Is government spending too high? In my view the answer is incontrovertibly "yes". There is a huge waste of resources pretty much across the board. Would we better off if this wasteful spending was eliminated and taxes cut commensurately? Yes. Would this help to end the recession? No. The recession is about a shortage of aggregate demand. Reducing government spending and giving the money to taxpayers to spend instead will do nothing directly to boost aggregate demand. In fact, it may well reduce it.

The second mistake is to think of the problem facing society as a whole as the same as the problem facing us as individuals. If we wish to improve our financial balance then we can either increase income or reduce spending. But for society as a whole, aggregate spending equals aggregate income. If we all as individuals seek to improve our position by spending less, our income will fall as result of someone else's reduced spending.

Which brings me to consumers and another logical tangle. Suppose we want increased consumer spending but do not approve of increased borrowing. The answer must be reduced saving. But I thought that we didn't want that either! The logic is inexorable. To get higher consumer spending than would otherwise have been the case then collectively consumers will have to save less or borrow more. In the current environment, trying to boost saving is the economics of the madhouse.

Nevertheless, I have much sympathy with all those savers, many of whom write to me complaining that their interests have not been taken care of, whereas excessive borrowers "who got us into this mess in the first place" are bailed out by lower interest rates. The Conservatives' proposal to end tax payments on savings income for basic rate taxpayers seems fair. It also makes perfect long-term sense. The new healthy economy which we must build after this crisis is over should involve higher personal saving.

But do not imagine that this will contribute to the growth of aggregate demand – which is our immediate problem. Encouraging more saving now will worsen the recession. That is the paradox of thrift which Keynes so clearly demonstrated in the 1930s and it applies today.

So I offer two morals and a suggested way forward. First, do not confuse the situation facing you as an individual with the position facing society as a whole. Second, do not confuse what needs to be done on grounds of equity or long-term economic health with what needs to be done to lift us from recession and prevent it becoming a depression. Some things which might contribute to the first objective would undermine the second.

There is a clear path ahead. In the short term, we must rely on an increased government contribution to demand through higher borrowing (although more by tax cuts, please) and increased consumer spending. The latter will require either more borrowing or less saving. Within a couple of years, though, these two sources of demand can be wound down as two others take over – a huge boost to growth from our net exports and a concomitant rise in corporate investment.

The winding down can take place through cuts in government borrowing, achieved through cuts to spending and higher tax receipts generated by economic growth, as well as higher interest rates, effectively undoing the stimulus packages of the last year. But it would be madness to be thinking about that now. Now is the time for doing everything possible to boost aggregate demand.

Actually the problem has been a skewed wealth distribution for the last 10-15 years.

There is clearly enough monetary value in the worrld, its just that the top percentile of the wealthy elite have a disproortionate amount holed up in their offshore bank accounts. There has been a steady drain of wealth over the eyars from joe public into the hands of the very few, and these guys have no intention of spending it.

We don't actually need aggregrate growth, if you average the official growth forcast over the last 20 eyars, its been way up on the historical longer term average.

We need ways of stopping that 1-2% of the financial elite from accumulating the 90%+ of the worlds wealth.

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post

We need ways of stopping that 1-2% of the financial elite from accumulating the 90%+ of the worlds wealth.
      You'll never stop me!

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
        Actually the problem has been a skewed wealth distribution for the last 10-15 years.

There is clearly enough monetary value in the worrld, its just that the top percentile of the wealthy elite have a disproortionate amount holed up in their offshore bank accounts. There has been a steady drain of wealth over the eyars from joe public into the hands of the very few, and these guys have no intention of spending it.

We don't actually need aggregrate growth, if you average the official growth forcast over the last 20 eyars, its been way up on the historical longer term average.

Something I have been saying for a long time. And was the cause of the great depression in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Something I have been saying for a long time. And was the cause of the great depression in my book.
          Is your book published?
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

They should cap an individual's monetary/asset value at a specified amount, say $1Bn.

That way, people are still motivated to achieve, and for 99.9% of the world the amount is big enough for them to be motivated long enough.

For those few that hit $1Bn in value (stocks/property/cash etc), they must give the rest away to society (i.e. not government!) or their business profits should be given to the community in general.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
              They should cap an individual's monetary/asset value at a specified amount, say $1Bn.

That way, people are still motivated to achieve, and for 99.9% of the world the amount is big enough for them to be motivated long enough.

For those few that hit $1Bn in value (stocks/property/cash etc), they must give the rest away to society (i.e. not government!) or their business profits should be given to the community in general.
              That would lead to massive fraud with people administering deliberately undervalued assets overseas.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

We also need to stop big companies profiteering from services that are essential.

Day to day banking, energy supply, rail transport.

Tehse things are essentials, without which the country would grind to a crushing halt. private companies should not be running these shows.

just look at the record year on year profits by energy firms, whilst consumer prices for gas and Electricity seem to inch ever skywars.

Same for rail fares.

Its a big giant CON

Comment

Who remembers how long it took to get a telephone installed before privatisation?

Mind you, I remember the bloody trains before privatisation too - they might have been cr@p but they aren't much better now.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Who remembers how long it took to get a telephone installed before privatisation?

Mind you, I remember the bloody trains before privatisation too - they might have been cr@p but they aren't much better now.
                    Yes but i would rather have a train running 20% less efficiently if it was going to cost 50% less!

Privatisation shifts the goal from providing service to generating profit, and with that comes exploitation of the customer base.

Comment

Working...
                    X