• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you handle bench time & holidays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you handle bench time & holidays?

When you're billing, and especially if you bill pretty much continuously for a long time (months/years), you might think like me which is "I'll take a nice long well earned break when the contract ends".

Invariably this might mean that you don't get a decent holiday in a while.

But what happens when you're on the bench? Do you then think "Oh crikey now I need to save money because I don't know when the next contract is coming along". So you spend your time worrying about lack of income and trying to find the next contract. So you can't relax.

I ask because I haven't yet experienced any serious bench time, but I may have to face this possibility soon.

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    When you're billing, and especially if you bill pretty much continuously for a long time (months/years), you might think like me which is "I'll take a nice long well earned break when the contract ends".

But what happens when you're on the bench? Do you then think "Oh crikey now I need to save money because I don't know when the next contract is coming along". So you spend your time worrying about lack of income and trying to find the next contract. So you can't relax.

I ask because I haven't yet experienced any serious bench time, but I may have to face this possibility soon.
    If you haven't had a break for a while - enjoy it. Recharge, re-evaluate and fine tune or update your skills.

And if you're married, be ready to be told to do all those jobs you couldn't do when you were maxed out working....you'll soon want another gig just for the rest!
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Quite happy to chill for a couple of months, but then I've set up my finances in such a way that I'm not over reliant on contracting income. I know some contractors who can't even afford a month off, even though they earn good money.

After a couple of months I start to get a little anxious though, just because long benched periods are sometimes seen (by the client) as a negative.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I have been on the bench now for 3 months, this is the first time in nearly a decade that i have had this much time off.

First few weeks was great, caught up with the training etc, updated skill etc. However as the weeks go by, its getting boring, there plenty DIY nonsense to do, but don't fancy that.

Comment

Plan your bench time whilst you are still invoicing, so you can spend it wisely, even if that means scheduling in a week or so away somewhere, or just having a few days in front of the xbox.
          Assume you'll be on the bench long enough to get done whichever big domestic job has been hanging around for ages. No point procrastinating about ripping out the old bathroom or whatever, because you're convinced you'll be back in work any day soon; in three months time you'll wish you'd just got it out of the way.
          Break up your bench time into chunks (of whatever length suit) that you can tackle and feel a sense of achievement, which is especially important if you do end up being benched for months.
          And mix up your activities (bit of DIY, bit of exercise, bit of catching up on the entire back catalogue of 24, Lost, West Wing, etc) so you don't get bored just doing one thing for - potentially - months.

My advice is free and disposable. Do with it whatever you see fit.

Comment

Just came of the bench after 3 months, wasn't too bad over Christmas as luckily enough got the ko on Crimbo Eve, meant I could relax a bit.
            I had a bit put aside but it wasn't enough - need to make sure I've got at least 3 months money to make it comfy.
            Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Oh I can give you plenty of advice on that one.

Scenario One : On the bench for six months with six months savings - result - happiness.

Scenario Two : On the bench for six months with no savings at all - result misery.

erm actually in my case I borrowed a bit more to tide me over the bench period- tsk tsk but dont forget when on the bench - you always end up with a contract - dont fall foul of the thought - what if I never get a gig again - dismiss this as self-defeating talk .
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 January 2009, 13:25.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                dont fall foul of the thought - what if I never get a gig again - dismiss this as self-defeating talk .
                This might in fact be the problem for me, because the skillset I have is dead and I've been a little lackadaisical towards I.T. in general over the past 3 years.

Comment

This might in fact be the problem for me, because the skillset I have is dead and I've been a little lackadaisical towards I.T. in general over the past 3 years.
                  Aye TM

I was supposed to be dead-in-the-water skillset wise back in 1996 - then again in 2000 - then again in 2003 - and its all been bull.

Hope that helps.

Also chant Hare Krishna - I have found this to be incredibly useful.
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 January 2009, 13:42.

Comment

What is your skillset, out of interest?

I've decided to learn either C++ or Java. Which do people think has the best long term prospects?
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X