• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Land of Leather goes under

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land of Leather goes under

Another one bites the dust
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

That's another 850 people now dependent on Gordon's handouts then.

Of course this is nothing to do with Tony and Gordon building an economy on pure debt, high business taxation, wasteful public spending, failure to invest and over-reliance on fraudsters in the City.

No, it's due to sub-prime in the USA.

Comment

This is just a roll-call of rubbish companies so far isn't it? Woolworths, Zavvi, Findus, World Of Leather, Miller Brothers, Adams, MFI. It's a real shame about lost jobs and that, but really... I don't suppose these places will be mourned by many people.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        This is just a roll-call of rubbish companies so far isn't it? Woolworths, Zavvi, Findus, World Of Leather, Miller Brothers, Adams, MFI. It's a real shame about lost jobs and that, but really... I don't suppose these places will be mourned by many people.
        Except those that worked there. Probably all Labour voters anyways.

I hope they enjoy not living in poverty (Gordon eradicated poverty in the UK).

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          That's another 850 people now dependent on Gordon's handouts then.

Of course this is nothing to do with Tony and Gordon building an economy on pure debt, high business taxation, wasteful public spending, failure to invest and over-reliance on fraudsters in the City.

No, it's due to sub-prime in the USA.
          Well, to some extent it’s about bankers who invented financial instruments which lose gazillions of dollars if one or two people fail to make their mortgage payments, but I’m happy to blame the Gordon, Tony and George show, and I suppose the credit-default-obligation-swappy-derivativey-thingummyjigs fit into your category of ‘over-reliance on fraudsters in the City’.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
            Land of Leather - not the whole blooming World of Leather. Just a minor continent of it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Presumable bought about not just becasue people dont have the money to spend but because, like most of these furniture chains - DFS et al - they rely on being able to offer cheap or free credit to their customers to make the sales.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Well, to some extent it’s about bankers who invented financial instruments which lose gazillions of dollars if one or two people fail to make their mortgage payments, but I’m happy to blame the Gordon, Tony and George show, and I suppose the credit-default-obligation-swappy-derivativey-thingummyjigs fit into your category of ‘over-reliance on fraudsters in the City’.
                Gordon was supposed to be watching the banks, as the BoE had done for generations before Gordon took control in 2001.

Instead he let them get on with it. It made his growth figures look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Gordon was supposed to be watching the banks, as the BoE had done for generations before Gordon took control in 2001.

Instead he let them get on with it. It made his growth figures look good.
                  Yes, and Gordon should take his share of the blame, call an election and f**k off. But that doesn't exonerate the bankers; just because nobody's supervising you isn't an excuse.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I need a new leather sofa set, now might be the time to get one. A 50" plasma on the wall would also do nicely thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                    X