• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zurich Accomodation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zurich Accomodation

Have been flirting with the idea of going to live in Zurich for a while and have had quite a bit of interest from agencies so it seems that I could get a pretty good position there.

I have heard it is a total nightmare to get accommodation there, bearing in mind I will have to house a wife and a pet(small dog).

Can anybody comment on the difficulty of getting decent accommodation there? Should I get my work situation stable first and then send for the wife/pet?

Any comments/abuse welcome
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

This question sounds familiar.

No problem if you don't want to be in the desirable part in the centre of town overlooking the lake.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Get yourself booked into to the Crazy Cow, then go house hunting, then bring wife and pet. Although there are some quite tasty birds in Zurich, so you might want to miss out the last step.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Thanks

Ok sounds better, do they have a Hackney or Moss Side in Zurich, ie areas that I may get knifed/shot for my half eaten packet of crisps

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
          Ok sounds better, do they have a Hackney or Moss Side in Zurich, ie areas that I may get knifed/shot for my half eaten packet of crisps
          The biggest danger as I see is that you hang yourself for boredom in some areas.

* on a serious note, no, there are no such areas in Zrh or the whole Switzerland.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

What?

Are you actually saying that there are no "bad" areas?

I would imagine xenophobia and skinhead style violence may be an issue in places, but are there no neighbourhoods in the big cities where streetcrime is a major issue?

Comment

No, but be careful if you use the urinals at Hauptbahnhof.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Are you actually saying that there are no "bad" areas?

I would imagine xenophobia and skinhead style violence may be an issue in places, but are there no neighbourhoods in the big cities where streetcrime is a major issue?
                Yes, there have been some xenophobia and skinhead violence but no there is no "ghetto" area. In fact there is no even big city really. It's just a collection of small villages one next to each other. Allegedly some urban areas are a bit worse because there "foreigners" live (that's how swiss people address some areas) but however there is no large scale crime in any part of the town. You will find that these less desirable urban areas are still much safer than any London area.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

The worst bit of Zurich is probably Schwamendingen (Zone 12) but it's not Moss Side. Hope you like the imaginative (not) use of concrete in their architecture everywhere.

Comment

The best thing about Zürich is the last train to Basel.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X