• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UTR number

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTR number

I started contracting in tax year 2007-08, so I'm trying to complete my first personal tax return for that year, but I've not been sent any request to do so from HMRC and I can't find any correspondence from them that contains a UTR number.
    Does one just ring the "local" tax office for one? Will they give it out over the phone or do they stick it in the snail mail? Given the Jan 31 deadline, I'm cutting it fine I know.

Look on any stuff they send you.

The UTR is a 10 digit number.

If you have your self assesment online login then it tells you what your UTR is in there.

Comment

If you've never done SA before then you'll need to request one from your tax office. Same happened to me.
      Blood in your poo

Comment

been on hold for 15 minutes, was hoping there might be another way to find out what my utr is

Comment

just called my local tax office who said i dont have a UTR set up, even though i incorporated mid march 2008, which was about 3 weeks before the end of tax year 07-08.
          he suggested i call glasgow (which, bizzarely, is the tax office for my ltd company) and ask them for a utr.
          called them and they confirmed i wasn't setup for SA, and wasn't sure whether I needed to fill in an SA for 07-08, since my company submitted invoices in march but didnt recieve paymt until mid-april. but they were not sure.
          nice to know they dont seem to have a clue. no doubt I'll probably get stung five years down the line with a tax bill for a million quid (incl interest and fines).
          great.

Comment

I had this agony last month when trying to file online for the missus. Didn't get anywhere in the end, gave up and reverted to paper filing.

Flipping hopeless.

Comment

NAA but if your company didn't get any payments until April then presumably you did not pay yourself any salary or divis or refund any expenses before then so no real need for you to do a return. Technically, maybe you should as a director, but if there is no tax to pay you are not due a fine for not completing one, their TV ads are wrong.

http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/f...on-t25590.html
              Last edited by xoggoth; 12 January 2009, 17:58.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Self Assessment Tax Return

Cheshire Cat,

It sounds like you only need to file a tax return if you have earned more than the Higher Rate Threshold and had dividends, but without all the knowledge of your earnings its difficult to tell.

To get a UTR its quicker to register for Self assessment online

You need to do this by 21st January, see here as if you dont there may not be time to get your PIN number and UTR so you can file online.

Hope that helps

Phil

Comment

You need a UTR number to register for SA online ...

I'm stuck in the same situation. I've never been sent anything about self assessment despite being a company director.

Anyone else got any ideas as phoning the revenue doesn't seem to work. (12 phone calls so far and no UTR Number )

Comment

Jeex I jsut spent most of the day trying to sort something similar out.

Got a reminder to do my online return online to my current address.

Had problems logging in so phoned up and pone of the security questions is whats your address? Give them my address and they say "Sorry thats incorrect I cantr help you" Even though they sent the reminder to my current address!!!!!

Keep telling them this and the dumb bar stewards at the other end just say they cant help me. Finally got through to a Geordie guy who let me real off my last 4 addresses until I got it. He said they had somehow reverted to my old address since sending me the reminder a few weeks ago!!! How was I supposed to know this. ANyway he's changed it but told me it takes 3 days for the address to propogate through the system? SYSTEM? WHat system? Just a few address fields on one record (I Hope)

The system is absolutely appalling! I understand the need for security but there is something seriously wrong. I have to go through this palava every year as I keep changing address. It normally takes a week to sort out.

Comment

Working...
                    X