• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is America still admired?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is America still admired?

According to George W Bush it is. Linky.

I'm not so sure.

I like the USA and most of the people, but I dislike the US Government. I am not sure if I will go there again because there is too much hassle getting through Passport and Customs these days. So much for the “special relationship”
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Like any country, there's much to admire and much to be less proud of about the USA. When I first went there I was keen to point out that a significant proportion of us didn't vote for Thatcher (a majority in fact) - in response they pointed out that the same was true of Reagan - it's the same for Bush - you can't judge a whole country by the monkey who manages to get elected as boss.

No-one in Iraq or Iran was ever likely to admire the USA - except to wear Nike tracksuits and the like of course!
      Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 12 January 2009, 21:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        So much for the “special relationship”
        Most Americans have never heard of that. I wonder what would happen if we imposed the same rules on the septics who come here.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Most Americans have never heard of that. I wonder what would happen if we imposed the same rules on the septics who come here.
          They'd probably throw their toys out of the pram (aka imposing import tariffs).
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I am not sure if I will go there again because there is too much hassle getting through Passport and Customs these days.
            I don't mind it at all (I'm off to the US again in 3 weeks) I only wish our country had the same approach towards foreign nationals.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I like the USA and most of the people, but I dislike the US Government. I am not sure if I will go there again because there is too much hassle getting through Passport and Customs these days. So much for the “special relationship”
              Just came back from the US. When we landed in Miami all the young fit people, not burdened by 2 small children who had been awake all the way through the flight, rushed by and raced off to immigration . We finally got to the queues (huge) and were taken out and processed through the, now empty, American only queues.

Total time involved in immigration was less than 15 mins.

Spent much more time queuing in Heathrow and never been moved to another queue because of having small children.
              "All around me I see chaos and confusion, my work here is done...."

Comment

As a young lad I can remember when going through US customs was Literally a breeze. A drive through..just stop for a moment to state we were Canadian and drive on. No passport required.

These days the queues are hours long. each and every car is searched. and everyone needs a passport. I once saw a sign on a American enty point stating that there was a 4 hour wait to cross the border.

I used to like the US..but now that my brother-in-law lives there and goes on and on about how great it is...I don't bother with it. The guy is a jackass and any country good enough for a jackass ain't a country I wanna live in.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                  As a young lad I can remember when going through US customs was Literally a breeze. A drive through..just stop for a moment to state we were Canadian and drive on. No passport required.

These days the queues are hours long. each and every car is searched. and everyone needs a passport. I once saw a sign on a American enty point stating that there was a 4 hour wait to cross the border.

I used to like the US..but now that my brother-in-law lives there and goes on and on about how great it is...I don't bother with it. The guy is a jackass and any country good enough for a jackass ain't a country I wanna live in.
                  Why on earth would a Canadian want to visit the USA if he isn’t driving to Mexico?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by bren586 View Post
                    Just came back from the US. When we landed in Miami all the young fit people, not burdened by 2 small children who had been awake all the way through the flight, rushed by and raced off to immigration . We finally got to the queues (huge) and were taken out and processed through the, now empty, American only queues.

Total time involved in immigration was less than 15 mins.

Spent much more time queuing in Heathrow and never been moved to another queue because of having small children.
                    That has less to do with immigration and more to do with the fact that, as a society, we hate kids - the Americans don't.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X