• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US facing long recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US facing long recession

US facing decade of weakness

ooerr

complete the following sentence:

The UK's economy will recover quickly because:
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    US facing decade of weakness

ooerr

complete the following sentence:

The UK's economy will recover quickly because:
    Its different this time.

I think the value of the pound will make our recession shallower than most.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Its different this time.

I think the value of the pound will make our recession shallower than most.
      Thats what happend in the great depression wasnt it?
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

that's true the UK got off lightly.

They need to focus on their empire. So only import from the Acension Islands and the Falklands. Yes and Rockall.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Those of you old enough will remember the same doom and gloom being peddled in the last recession - "it's the end of the world etc etc".

These latest predictions are based on the US following a Japanese pattern.
          However I don't believe this will be the case as Americans behave very differently from the Japanese.

Also I believe the Uk will have a shallower recession simply because its economy is less export orientated than, say, Germany.
          Germany will find that with its export markets collapsed that it will lead to a systematic retstructuring downwards of its motor industry in particular.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I imagine countries that are not reliant on exporting or importing would be the least worst hit in a global recession. Cue screams of protectionism. The UK can't be protectionist anyway as it needs the rest of the world for its food and energy. For us it's export (inc. services) or die (or borrow). Countries that export stuff that everyone needs even in times of recession (e.g. food exporters) would be okay too if they play their cards right.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Those of you old enough will remember the same doom and gloom being peddled in the last recession - "it's the end of the world etc etc".

These latest predictions are based on the US following a Japanese pattern.
              However I don't believe this will be the case as Americans behave very differently from the Japanese.

Also I believe the Uk will have a shallower recession simply because its economy is less export orientated than, say, Germany.
              Germany will find that with its export markets collapsed that it will lead to a systematic retstructuring downwards of its motor industry in particular.
              I think the mindset of the British people has changed. It's like a phase transition. People are no longer boasting about what cars they are going to buy, how they are ordering that 60" plasma next week, etc. No more talk about booming house prices. The illusion has been shattered.

Everyones focussed on one thing. Paying down debt, whether it be cards, loans or mortgages.

If everyones paying off debt, they ain't buying anything beyond the essentials. This is what will lead to the total collapse of the UK economy.

This New Labour architected recession will be both deep and very long.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7825213.stm

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                I think the mindset of the British people has changed. It's like a phase transition. People are no longer boasting about what cars they are going to buy, how they are ordering that 60" plasma next week, etc. No more talk about booming house prices. The illusion has been shattered.

Everyones focussed on one thing. Paying down debt, whether it be cards, loans or mortgages.

If everyones paying off debt, they ain't buying anything beyond the essentials. This is what will lead to the total collapse of the UK economy.

This New Labour architected recession will be both deep and very long.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7825213.stm

Enjoy.

Try and be logicial. If the British ( and Yanks, and everyone really) are not buying cars and plasmas, that will lead to the total collapse of the German and Chinese economies as Britain does not make that many cars and plasmas anymore.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Try and be logicial. If the British ( and Yanks, and everyone really) are not buying cars and plasmas, that will lead to the total collapse of the German and Chinese economies as Britain does not make anything anymore.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

So if I've understood correctly the UK will import its way out the crisis.

Nice one.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X