• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Traitors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traitors

Contractors going permie

ok own up who's thinking of going permie...
    I'm alright Jack

itll only be short lived!..theyll leave within 12-15 months and be back to contracting!.

My pref is still contract

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Contractors going permie

Don't call such people contractors, they are just permies who can't hold down a job.

Comment

guilty, though not there yet

The tactic, a direct result of the slowdown, is in spite of the belief that IT freelancers are “notoriously independent” and adverse to conventional 9-to-5 employment.
        averse

Besides, I'm averse to not having any income and losing my home...
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well, the war chest is well stocked enough to keep me going for a year. Much as I'm loathe to spend it the thought of going permie again gives me the shivers.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

If push came to shove I erxpect many would go perm for a temporary period. Luckily many people still manage to get contracts even in this climate.

However I am under no illusions that if there really was no contract work out there, and even with a sensible slush fund built up, if the right permy job came along I would do it for a year if I had bills to pay etc.

Comment

Most of the draw I get from not being a permie is working from home, earning more and getting more responsibility of software design/architecture than most companies would give someone so young.
              In theory, if a decent permie job which allowed full-time home working came up, I could be tempted... but I doubt this is likely unless I find someone desperate for my one super-niche skill
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I’d rather work for myself and earn minimum wage than go permie, so I’ve consciously built up a couple of other skills that I can use without having to work for someone else. I can do technical translations in a few languages, have personal fitness trainer qualifications and intend to get a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate. Perhaps these trades won’t make me a huge living and perhaps there’s not one which can keep me full time employed, but in combination I’m confident I can earn a living without having to go permie.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Contractors going permie

Burn them.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    Well, the war chest is well stocked enough to keep me going for a year. Much as I'm loathe to spend it the thought of going permie again gives me the shivers.
                    WHS

Plus the problem is if the clients have any brains they won't take you on as a permie knowing you'll jump ship when things pick up. I made a few half hearted permie enquiries in the last slump and got nowhere with teens of years of contracting on my CV.

Comment

Working...
                    X