• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google G1 phone on T-Mobile, any opinions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google G1 phone on T-Mobile, any opinions?

OK, have decided that Orange a ripping me a new one, last month I used 30 minutes call time, 60 txts and 12 meg online, with insurance that came to 77 quid

I see an advert in the paper today offering the Google phone for 30 quid a month giving me unlimited internet which is the big killer in my bill.

Does anyone have one? What is t-mobiles coverage like? does it integrate into Microsoft office?

Cheers

Doesn't integrate to Office that I know of, but will integrate to Google Docs.

Will be the first phone to provide full internet, once they get the flash plugin sorted - it's been demoed, which is more than the iPhone has.

Synchronizes beautifully with all the Google apps, so if you use gmail, calendar, chat, etc. it's great. Contacts are synchronized with those in your gmail account - so if you lose the phone, you don't lose the contacts as they are all there online.

Google apps are free to download, and there are plenty of them.

Doesn't do Skype (in the UK), so if you are after Skype then you're out of luck. But it does have unlimited internet and plenty of calls to use up first

Has a proper keyboard to type on.

One annoyance is that I occasionally delete a voicemail by pressing 7, just by holding the phone against my ear and it obviously hits that part of the touch screen

I like it, though - and am paying £40 a month for the same as they are doing for £30 a month now.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I know about the pressing buttons with the ear thing, often out people on hold with my current phone due to the ear press on the screen.

The skype is a bit of a let down, was really hoping for that really just for messaging as my team keeps in touch with it. Though the keyboard with that would be a killer.

As I use mostly microsoft products, vista, xp, xbox, home server (soon), hotmail, even the zune I would be a bit put off if it was bent towards getting me to use google products and them alone.

Really microsoft should be shooting themselves for not keeping up, google can come from nowhere and put out a better product in a few months while microsoft have been at windows mobile for years.

Think I will head down to the shop and see how it looks at lunch time.

Comment

Recent news on skype on the G1

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2009/0...te-client-app/

looking more promising.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Really microsoft should be shooting themselves for not keeping up, google can come from nowhere and put out a better product in a few months while microsoft have been at windows mobile for years.
          Have you looked at the recent HTC devices? You might be surprised at how far they've come.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Recent news on skype on the G1

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2009/0...te-client-app/

looking more promising.
            I was reading about that the other day, shame it's not full on mobile VOIP though really.

OK if you're just using it for IM purposes though I guess.
            Last edited by voodooflux; 13 January 2009, 11:11.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
              Have you looked at the recent HTC devices? You might be surprised at how far they've come.
              I've got the HTC Kaiser on T-Mobile (their MDA Vario III).

Got a contract that cost £40/m that gives me £220/m of usage split anyway I want it.

Integrates with Office

Reliable

Good Coverage

Can't Complain
              'elf and safety guru

Comment

If you can wait a couple of months there will be a few more handsets running the Google software stack.

The perception is that the G1 is a bit crap on the hardware front but Google Android is the killer feature.

There is talk of Google Android moving onto devices other than mobiles, GPS devices, netbooks, TV's
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Been doing a bit of research and still not totally convinced, I never got to see one today but I will try tomorrow.

However the application where you take a picture of a product's bar code and it tells you where you can get it cheaper in your area is bleedin' genius. I would use that a lot if it really did work.

I have a Orange SPV 700 which is a HTC re branded, had a look at the HTC HD today and it did look pretty smart but I would probably want to wait of a few months and wait for mobile 7.

Chinned Orange over the data charges as I was on 5mb for 5 quid, they now do 500mb for 5 quid but they never bothered to upgrade me or tell me, thieving tits.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                    I was reading about that the other day, shame it's not full on mobile VOIP though really.

OK if you're just using it for IM purposes though I guess.
                    Why would you need true VOIP out of your data, when you have £250 a month to spend?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X