• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Size of war chest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size of war chest

How long can you survive without work?
    <= 1 month
    12.12%
    <= 6 months
    27.27%
    <= 1 year
    21.21%
    >= A year or two
    28.79%
    >= Indefinitely or even longer
    9.09%
    AndyW has the only chest I'm interested in
    1.52%

Is there a poll coming?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      Is there a poll coming?
      Yep.

Comment

top andyw option

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          top andyw option
          I prefer Andyw's mum's chest
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Not sure if my calculations are right, but apparently even £20K of savings would allow us to manage for between 1 - 2.5 years depending if we got rid of a car when both end up jobless, and if we cut back on going out for dinner.

Can that be right? I mean I know we're up in the North-East but it seems to stretch a very long way... I started contracting with £1000s of debt a year ago and expect to end up with approximately that amount in the savings account despite only being on a rate of £25/hr (£200-250/day) for most of that time.

You southerners can keep your water shortages and high prices...
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

About a month

Live today - sh*t yourself tomorrow

Comment

About 2 years if I really cut back from day 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  About 2 years if I really cut back from day 1.
                  Yeah, that's the next question. When should you enter full thrift mode? E.g. Cancelling things like the gym membership, downsize or be rid of the car, etc.

Comment

A few years for me. I just went thru the household bills for the first time in a few years after paying them blindly previously. The gas and electricity were suprisingly low, the water double what it should be ( on a meter from previous owner , I suspect the kids/Mrs have left some taps on for a day or two as no leaks to be found ). Council tax is quite a biggie if you are going into bunker mode ! I've primed the Mrs that the cleaner and overseas hols will have to go, if she resists I'll send her back to work.

Comment

Working...
                    X