• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tomorrow's World

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow's World

When I was younger, there was always this hope that science and technology would lead us to better lives. New inventions, breakthroughs and ideas were coming thick and fast.

There seems to be very little press coverage of science, technology etc these days. All the press are concerned with is money, politics and war.

Anyone else feel that the age of science has been lost? (probably sold off more like).

Or am I talking bollux?

In other countries scientists are highly regarded and respected.

In the UK all we care about is big brother.

Even "million dollar trader" was dumbed down.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      When I was younger, there was always this hope that science and technology would lead us to better lives. New inventions, breakthroughs and ideas were coming thick and fast.

There seems to be very little press coverage of science, technology etc these days. All the press are concerned with is money, politics and war.

Anyone else feel that the age of science has been lost? (probably sold off more like).

Or am I talking bollux?
      Science is now about why we must not fly, can't have our bins emptied every week, and can only use toxic light bulbs of a mediaeval dimness.

Comment

I agree Dim.

Perhaps another reason is because real advances in science and technology are a bit esoteric these days. DNA mapping and particle colliders don't quite hit the spot that space exploration used to.

I've got yet another theory. Anything interesting has already happened in the virtual world of cgi TV, films and computer games, so when it happens for real it's already passe.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Or am I talking bollux?
          Isn't that generally the case?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Totally agree.

I blame the Daily Mail for all their pseudo science and especially their MMR hating.

The press have made the general public scared of science. Which is ridiculous seeing all the gadgets and technology we now have, are all developed using scientific methods.

Bring back tomorrows world (the live format where nothing worked). It was brilliant.
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Tomorrow's World had an air of optimism about it. It was usually bollocks, but there was a feeling we could look forward to stuff. Now we are only interested in disasters.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                Isn't that generally the case?

Not on this one, the little shellfish is right
                Originally posted by cailin maith
                Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
                  Totally agree.

I blame the Daily Mail for all their pseudo science and especially their MMR hating.

Bring back tomorrows world (the live format where nothing worked). It was brilliant.
                  I'd like to see the BBC make a program about critical thinking and scientific method. Some of the Horizon shows are excellent, the Natural World, Coast and so on are brilliant too, but I'd like them to put on a program showing people the method and the way of thinking behind the science, and put it on BBC 1 at primetime; a bit of the old 'educate and inform' could go a long way to helping people seperate media guff from hard facts.

Arrrr...
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Stop whinging, get Sky and watch the documentary channels...
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X