• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guardian Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guardian Doom

Britain's descent into full-blown recession was highlighted yesterday after the loss of more than 3,300 jobs across the economy was followed by three grim surveys chronicling savage retrenchment in housing, retailing, manufacturing and services.

Amid fears that 2009 could see the biggest fall in output in any year since the war, snapshots from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, British Retail Consortium and British Chambers of Commerce plumbed record lows last month.

The RICS said estate agents sold 10.1 homes on average in the final three months of 2008, the weakest performance in three decades, while the BRC said deep discounting could not spare shops and stores from the grimmest December since it began its survey 14 years ago.

Yeah, but look at Germany!

DOOMED

Comment

Its a Pain in Spain as well

Spain hit by public finance warning

By David Oakley in London and Victor Mallet in Madrid

Published: January 12 2009 18:01 | Last updated: January 13 2009 07:22

The growing dangers for Europe’s sharply slowing economies were highlighted yesterday as Spain became the third eurozone country to be warned over its deteriorating public finances in the space of three days.

Standard & Poor’s, the rating agency, said Spain’s top-notch triple A credit ratings could be downgraded because of pressure on its public finances after it entered what is likely to be a deep recession in the fourth quarter.

On Friday, Greece and Ireland were also warned by the agency that their ratings could be downgraded as economic conditions worsen. The warning is likely to help drive up borrowing costs for those countries.

Comment

But look on the bright side, though we may have lost all of those highly paid, engineering, skilled and semi skilled jobs, the supermarkets are openning up more branches and require an extra 10,000 shelf stackers and checkout assistants
        'elf and safety guru

Comment

And to think some people are blaming Gordon Brown, when it is clearly a world phenomenon which had nothing to do with him.

Comment

And lots of you lot out there think you are in safe long term contracts especially in the now highly paid Euroland

Laughing at myself as I had a good 6 months work in the bag for 2009 that has now been pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              And to think some people are blaming Gordon Brown, when it is clearly a world phenomenon which had nothing to do with him.

Comment

Good news for anyone that has been planning major purchases in the last few months. Prices will contunie to fall so that used car, loft extension, new kitchen will be better value than ever before.

AKA those prudent who saved during the boom actuall CAN benefit somewhat in the bust if they have some intended spending to do.

As a first time buyer, I am hoping this market correction will help me in the long term, requiring significantly less mortgage borrowing if and when I take the plunge into home owndership.

I just pray rapnat inflation does not set in else I will have to reevaluate all my current assets, much of it currently in cash

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
                  Good news for anyone that has been planning major purchases in the last few months. Prices will contunie to fall so that used car, loft extension, new kitchen will be better value than ever before.

AKA those prudent who saved during the boom actuall CAN benefit somewhat in the bust if they have some intended spending to do.

As a first time buyer, I am hoping this market correction will help me in the long term, requiring significantly less mortgage borrowing if and when I take the plunge into home owndership.

I just pray rapnat inflation does not set in else I will have to reevaluate all my current assets, much of it currently in cash
                  Rampant 70's inflation is round the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post

If you lose your job the last thing you'll be thinking about is a new kitchen or a loft extension !!

Comment

Working...
                    X