• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The weak pound will boost our exports....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weak pound will boost our exports....

...errr....no.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7826085.stm

The UK's goods trade gap with the rest of the world reached record levels in November, official figures show.

The deficit stood at £8.33bn, the Office for National Statistics said, up from October's figure, which was revised downwards to £7.631bn.

The trade gap - the difference between imports and exports - with non-European nations also hit a record at £5.30bn.

The worse-than-expected data suggested that the weaker sterling was not enough to boost demand for UK exports.

"Yet more bad news," said Alan Clarke, UK economist at BNP Paribas.

"The trade figures reinforce expectations that we are going to see a horrific contraction in GDP in the fourth quarter," he added. GDP figures are set to be released on 23 January.

Total exports dropped by 6% in November, with imports down 2% for the month.

Never mind, we've still got the City.

That's assuming there is anything to export that anyone else wants to buy currently, and the flip side is imported stuff costs more.

Comment

I have at last succeeded in my mission to buy something British. My local supermarket has started stocking Chivers Lemon Curd. I immediately bought 5 jars, having missed this wonderful concoction ever since I left the UK.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Considering we are a net importer and have been for over a decade, what made anyone think a weak pound would benefit our trade deficit.

This article is stating the bleeding obvious!

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
          Considering we are a net importer and have been for over a decade, what made anyone think a weak pound would benefit our trade deficit.

This article is stating the bleeding obvious!
          No, it's stating the amount we export is falling to a very low level, even with the £££ devalued.

People don't want British goods at any price.

Comment

With all our manufacturing shutting down, what've we got left to export?

'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
              With all our manufacturing shutting down, what've we got left to export?

People. The best people will export themselves to Australia, Canada, New Zealand other places that aren't tulipeholes like the UK.

Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                No, it's stating the amount we export is falling to a very low level, even with the £££ devalued.

People don't want British goods at any price.
                I didnt read the article just your notes, which dont state that! Your comments state that the deficit is widening and that the exports have not INCREASED.

Sorry i couldn't really be bothered reading the article as the net result is a larger trade deficit, as expected.

Comment

As an import economy means recovery is well on the way.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    As an import economy means recovery is well on the way.
                    Doesn't that article just translate to the fact because we are net importers and the pound has devalued recently, our cost to import has gone up withotu a necessary increase in volumes and that therefore the deficit has widened.

Nothing GOOD to report about that, what are you on about?

Comment

Working...
                    X