• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social Mobility

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Mobility

Listened to the interview with Liam Byrne this morning on R4. Made me want to stab him in the face. A quote:

Liam Byrne, the Cabinet Office minister, said that boosting social mobility was Labour's "passion in politics, our core purpose."

He said: "After three decades of almost no progress ... now, for the first time, because of the investment we have made, since 2000 there are signs that things are beginning to change.

"Income inequality is down, the impact of your parents' background on your exam results is less than it was, so there are real signs of change. Today's plan is about how we step up the pace of change radically in the years to come," he told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme.
    The bold text highlights typical NL bulltulip. And, more importantly, parents from Blackbird Leys in Oxford (a typical council estate) were interviewed who said they wanted their kids to go to work and into apprenticeships after GCSE's. If the kids are happy with that, whats the problem?

The country needs sparkies and plumbers and other manual trades such as those. Is it really a social issue if some kids don't want to go to Uni?

And anyway, NL have missed the point. While they still offer a myriad of benefits and other financial reasons not to work, why should people bother.

Rant over. Bring on the election. And BrilloPad, I'll do it for you - 'The Tories won't be any different'...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

I dont much care anymore if its not different as long as my taxes go down! Beyond believing we can have anywhere near an ideal society anymore, its making the best of what you got.

If that means same as before but less Taxes on my hard working arse, then Tories get my vote.

Am sick and tired of the Welfare State, it's really pissing me off no end now.

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
      I dont much care anymore if its not different as long as my taxes go down! Beyond believing we can have anywhere near an ideal society anymore, its making the best of what you got.

If that means same as before but less Taxes on my hard working arse, then Tories get my vote.

Am sick and tired of the Welfare State, it's really pissing me off no end now.
      Actually, that's probably a better way of putting it than I did.
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

If New Labour say it, then almost certainly the opposite is the truth. And from what I see and hear social mobility has gone down.

Even a top labour person took their kid along to a paid for 'interview assessment'. Never needed that kind of thing for oxbridge years ago.

Comment

Its okay saying that more kids these days can do well in their exams regardless of their parents social class but when there is a constant dumbing down of the educational system is it really an indication of NL improving social mobility?

I remember a few years back talking to the son of a friend of mine who was about to go off to Uni (despite the C's and D's at A level), when I asked him what he was studying he replied "Sci-Fi" and he wants to focus on Star Trek for his dissertation in three years time.

Call me old fashioned and anti-progressive but when I was a lad you needed A's and B's at o Level to get to 6th form and the same again to get a place at Uni. Plus at least the subjects you studied had some real-life application.
          Last edited by Scotchpie; 13 January 2009, 12:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
            Call me old fashioned and anti-progressive but when I was a lad you needed A's and B's at o Level to get to 6th form and the same again to get a place at Uni. Plus at least the subjects you studied had some real-life application.
            Entry to sixth form depends on the school. My son goes to a grammar and they demand As and Bs at GCSE. My daughter goes to a secondary, and they only demand 5 Cs.

When I were a lad, Cs and Ds at A-level still got you into a lot of universities, but I think that's because A-levels represented more of an achievement then.

I never knew anyone from my generation studying subjects like Sci Fi, Media or Flower Arranging at university.

Comment

Both my parents were born into the worst of the Glasgow slums during the 1930s but the education they got at school was of a far higher standard than we give children today. As a result both got into university, in those days universities hard to get into, and both went on to have very successful careers. As a result I was brought up in a very middle class household in a good area of Glasgow.

By the time it got to the 60s they had moved from working class to upper middle class because schools they went to were prepared to teach children and not take tulip from those who did not want to learn. It was nothing to do with government policy, new initiatives or having a laptop on every desk by the time of the next election.

Comment

lol history of art

when I was at uni me and the other science and engineering nerds would have lectures for at least 30 hours per week and then at least another 10 hours reading/prep work on top of that - add in a few nights in the observatory and you could 'work' a 60 hour week.

then you meet the history of art lot who go to the galleries on a thursday have a lecture on a tuesday and get stoned in between - and all the hotties did history of art.

i made such a bad degree choice!!!

although i now do not flip burgers for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Entry to sixth form depends on the school. My son goes to a grammar and they demand As and Bs at GCSE. My daughter goes to a secondary, and they only demand 5 Cs.

When I were a lad, Cs and Ds at A-level still got you into a lot of universities, but I think that's because A-levels represented more of an achievement then.

I never knew anyone from my generation studying subjects like Sci Fi, Media or Flower Arranging at university.
                  Government needs to basically stop subsiding ANY university course that does not clearly add value to our economy.

Do remember that top up fees are just that, they form a smaller proprtion of the entire course fees that universities charge, with the government plugging the shortfall.

How does a government justify subsidising basket weaving or sci-fi studies?

If we want more engineering graduats we need to fully subsidise appropriate degrees and penalise the useless ones.

Ai bit of social engineering to get our skills abse where it needs to be for the future. You can bleat on with rhetoric all you want about investing in green technology and manufacturing, but if you don't have the qualified personeel to back it up you are going nowhere.

We need policy to encourage the right type of graduates, from the sciences, maths, physics and geology. Not media studies, sci-fi and other bollox courses.

Comment

I heard that interview on the radio this morning also. He said that from 1970 to 2000 there had been massive cuts in the spend on education under the Tories. Obviously he failed to mention the fact that there were a number of Labour years in that time and there have been another 8 years of Labour power after that point.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X