• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The great unwashed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great unwashed

Just listening to Radio 4 on my way to the supermarket and they're interviewing people at Liverpool Airport about their views on the Euro.

Classic from one woman (can't remember word for word, this is the gist of what she was saying....) "I'm glad we haven't joined the Euro. We've been to Cyprus and everything's so expensive there now. Imagine having to live there when everything costs so much!"

Oh dear....
    ǝןqqıʍ

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Just listening to Radio 4 on my way to the supermarket and they're interviewing people at Liverpool Airport about their views on the Euro.

Classic from one woman (can't remember word for word, this is the gist of what she was saying....) "I'm glad we haven't joined the Euro. We've been to Cyprus and everything's so expensive there now. Imagine having to live there when everything costs so much!"

Oh dear....
    Don't you know that Britain has the largest percentage of thickos in the population of all G20 countrie? Just the way McSnotty wants it

Comment

I'll never forget the euro debates on another well-known contractor's forum beginning with P. There were contractors there (who you'd assume had some modicum of intelligence) who were pro-euro because they could "buy a latte in both Madrid and Helsinki with the same currency".

I think the euro was a way of expressing their man-of-the-world credentials.

Comment

Oh dear....
        I recently saw a program on Dutch TV where the journalist asked people for their opinions on current scientific issues. On being informed that scientists had made a new estimation of the world’s mass and found it to be lighter than thought, one woman said ‘that’s because of all those big companies taking the oil and stuff out of the ground’.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Oh dear....
          Why are these people allowed a vote?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            I recently saw a program on Dutch TV where the journalist asked people for their opinions on current scientific issues. On being informed that scientists had made a new estimation of the world’s mass and found it to be lighter than thought, one woman said ‘that’s because of all those big companies taking the oil and stuff out of the ground’.
            Hmm, heavier gases in atmosphere...that might even be plausible....

Cyprus is frikin expensive...strawberries are about a Euro (at that time, a quid) each...crap Stella in a rubbish pub, 4 Euro

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              She may have a point... surely when you burn oil some of the energy and therefore mass is lost beyond the atmosphere as it radiates heat?

I doubt that she was thinking of that though.

[/pedant mode]
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                Cyprus is frikin expensive...strawberries are about a Euro (at that time, a quid) each...crap Stella in a rubbish pub, 4 Euro
                That's to keep the riff-raf like you out.

If you want cheap Stella, get an all inclusive to Benidorm. You'll fit right in.

Comment

I don't like champagne....so strawberries and lager is the next best comparison.

Thanks for the Benidorm tip though...will check out the travel offers in the back of the Sun

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    I'll never forget the euro debates on another well-known contractor's forum beginning with P. There were contractors there (who you'd assume had some modicum of intelligence) who were pro-euro because they could "buy a latte in both Madrid and Helsinki with the same currency".

I think the euro was a way of expressing their man-of-the-world credentials.
                    Yes, there's someone like that here. His name's Milan.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X