• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Court case latest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Court case latest

Looks like this could be embarrassing for HMG

THE Government was accused in court today of setting up a "nil compensation" scheme for Northern Rock shareholders when the bank was nationalised a year ago.
    Shareholders' lawyers told the High Court that the "unfair" scheme was based on false criteria which would lead to shares being valued at zero – even though the Government had run no financial risk to itself or the public when it bailed out Northern Rock.

The legislation on which compensation assessment was based "does not provide for a compensation scheme – instead it provides for a no compensation scheme," said Lord Pannick QC, for the bank's biggest former investor, SRM Global.

And that, he said, amounted to a breach of the human rights principle that the taking of property by the state must be balanced by compensation reasonably related to the value of that property.

In a judicial review hearing set for four days, shareholders are seeking a declaration that the compensation provisions are incompatible with the European Convention on Human Rights.

If the Government loses at the end of the judicial process, it would be forced to reconsider the terms of reference given to independent valuers BDO Stoy Hayward so as to reflect what the shareholders say is the true value of their shares – at least £3 per share and probably much more.

The Government contends that the Treasury and the Bank of England provided substantial financial assistance to Northern Rock – £27 billion in loans and a £29 billion guarantee fund – without which it would have gone into liquidation.

Therefore, it argues, the shares should be valued on the basis of what they would have been worth without the financial assistance.

But Lord Pannick told Lord Justice Stanley Burnton and Mr Justice Silber that Northern Rock was a solvent business with a strong asset base, albeit with short-term liquidity difficulties.

The Treasury and the Bank of England had provided assistance "at penal interest rates designed to cover any risk being born by the Government".
    "Northern Rock was not a charity case – it had to pay a penal rate for the support it received," he said.

Chancellor Alistair Darling and the Treasury repeatedly stated that the Government was not taking any risks because it was satisfied the loans would be repaid and the guarantees would not be called upon. There was "no cost" to the taxpayer.

The Government had announced it intended to sell the bank back to the private sector for a substantial sum when market conditions improved.
    In all those circumstances, it was inconsistent with the principle of "fair value" compensation for the State to take 100% of the value of the assets that ended up in its ownership, Lord Pannick said.

The full article contains 459 words and appears in The Scotsman newspaper.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have not heard from the defence yet. But I am sure it will be rubbish.....

Comment

How about we just have one thread for all this Northern Crock nonsense...
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

If you're not interested, don't read it !! Many people want to hear more about the failures and lies of HMG.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          Hopefully this will be the one.

Or do we need an "official cuk northern rock" thread?

BTW I do wish cyberman all the best in this case : even though he does keep banging on about it......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Hopefully this will be the one.

Or do we need an "official cuk northern rock" thread?

BTW I do wish cyberman all the best in this case : even though he does keep banging on about it......
            Problem is CyberMan knows hardly anyone on this board is interested so a dedicated thread would soon drop off the board.

Hence, why he keeps on creating new threads.

Problem is, it is having the opposite effect of what you want - some real debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              Problem is CyberMan knows hardly anyone on this board is interested so a dedicated thread would soon drop off the board.

Hence, why he keeps on creating new threads.

Problem is, it is having the opposite effect of what you want - some real debate.
              hmmmm : like the offiocial big brother thread then?

I thought we had a debate and decided that, though cyberman's arguments were quite weak, we wished him all the best?

Comment

I'm interested. Makes my blood boil. A bit, anyway. So did Railtrack. And I'm not a shareholder of either.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  We have not heard from the defence yet. But I am sure it will be rubbish.....
                  But the judge will take the government side, and then by an amazing and completely unrelated and in no way shady co-incidence will get a new years honour, and a promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    I'm interested. Makes my blood boil. A bit, anyway. So did Railtrack. And I'm not a shareholder of either.
                    WHS.

Comment

Working...
                    X