• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bob Dylan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob Dylan

At a spritely 28 I missed out on the Bob Dylan era. I watched the documentary last night - but to be honest, more because Martin Scorcese directed - and found it quite interesting.

So come on oldies. Enlighten us youngsters about days-gone-by with your, "when I was a lad" stories about the life and music of Bob Dylan, and how it intertwined with your youth.

Bob Dylan? Pretentious Hippy Tree Hugging tulipe!

LGJC - In "Spod" mode!
    Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
    You know you'll need us!

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
      Bob Dylan? Pretentious Hippy Tree Hugging tulipe!

LGJC - In "Spod" mode!
      Good stuff, now, any more offers? I am trying to build up a good cross section of Bob Dylan memories.

Comment

Most Dylan songs are better when covered by other groups
        eg "All Along the Watchtower" Hendrix
        Like A Rolling stone - Spirit
        etc etc etc
        We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Dylan

Another BBC cock up last night after the programme on Dylan. BBC4 were running a show with covers of Dylan songs. Instead of showing Hendrix playing All Along the Watchtower (surely it must have been filmed?) they showed XTC doing some exceedingly poor rendition that could not possibly be described as music.

Comment

I preferred his version of Wannabee but he didn't have the legs.

Comment

Indeed

Originally posted by sb5spa
              Another BBC cock up last night after the programme on Dylan. BBC4 were running a show with covers of Dylan songs. Instead of showing Hendrix playing All Along the Watchtower (surely it must have been filmed?) they showed XTC doing some exceedingly poor rendition that could not possibly be described as music.
              And Bryan Ferry did a fantastic version of Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, but no, lets show him butchering Baby Blue.
              And what about House of The Rising Sun by the Animals
              What, no Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell?
              Really, proof, if any were needed, that the BBC is run by muppets.
              Why not?

Comment

Dylan

The BBC4 programme was to show artistes doing covers of Dylan songs. Whilst I accept House of the Rising Sun by the Animals and Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell were excelent records neither was written by Dylan and in fact Big Yellow Taxi wasn't even a cover bearing in mind that Joni Mitchell actually wrote it.

Comment

Well insofar as House of the rising sun

was a traditional song covered by dylan, fair enough, but I though Big Yellow Taxi was written for Joni Mitchell by Dylan. Could be wrong of course (I frequently am, but that's not gonna stop me mwahahahaha).

(So where's the blushing, and scuffing shoes on trouser-leg emoticon?)
                  Why not?

Comment

Taxi

Joni said this about writing the song to journalist Alan McDougall in the early 1970's-"Living in Los Angeles, smog chocked L.A., is bad enough but the last straw came when I visited Hawaii for the first time. It was night time when we got there, so I didn't get my first view of the scenery until I got up the next morning. The hotel room was quite high up so in the distance I could see the blue Pacific Ocean. I walked over to the balcony and there was the picture book scenery, palm tree swaying in the breeze and all. Then I looked down and there was this ugly concrete car park in the hotel grounds. I thought 'They paved paradise and put up a parking lot' and that's how the song "Big Yellow Taxi" was born."

Comment

Working...
                    X