• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Crunch - blame David Bowie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Crunch - blame David Bowie

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-21036649/

He’s always been a trendsetter. But could David Bowie have caused the latest fad sweeping the nation – the credit crunch?

It may sound like a ridiculous question, but it’s not as mad as it seems.

Even when it comes to finances Bowie leads the way – and back in 1997 he did something called “securitisation”.

He thought, “I have a lot of money coming in over the next 10 years from my back catalogue, but I’d rather have the cash now and not have to wait”.

He produced some bits of paper – Bowie Bonds – and said “whoever buys these gets my royalties”.

It meant he no longer had the money coming in but instead had a lot up front. His investors were guaranteed a good income. It was a good deal all round.

And the banks were catching on to the idea. They thought, “We have billions out there in mortgages which are going to pay us back very slowly. Why don’t we sell those and get the money now?”

So the banks started doing what Bowie had done – in a big way.

It was a complete rebuilding of what a bank does. Normally a bank borrows from people like you and I, then lends it out.

But now the bank was lending the money – and selling the loan on elsewhere.

For example, a bank loans out £100,000 for a mortgage, and does the same for 10,000 people. They’ve now lent £1billion and will be getting the cash back over the next 25 years.

So the bank creates a piece of paper, a security, and says whoever owns it will have the income from the mortgages.

It then sells the security – effectively the bundle of mortgages – for £1billion to perhaps a pension fund, which then has the mortgage income – and the bank has £1billion to lend out again.

Everybody is happy: the banks are able to lend more and more as mortgages, and there’s a conveyor belt where they lend a billion, receive a billion and sell the mortgages on.

Northern Rock were the market leaders in the UK for this kind of thing.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

This is why mortgage (debt) is an asset and holding savers money is a liability.

It was a great scam though. Shame the man behind the curtain has been revealed.

Comment

I blame it on Young Americans
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's the theater of financiers
        Count them, fifteen 'round a table
        White and dressed to kill
        But now
        We're today's scrambled creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature

Heaven's on the pillow, its silence competes with hell
        It's a twenty-four hour service, guaranteed to make you tell

And the streets are full of press men
        Bent on getting hung and buried
        And the legendary curtains are drawn 'round Baby Bankrupt
        Who sucks you while you're sleeping

Because of all weve seen

We Are the Dead ...
        We Are the Dead ...

DAVID BOWIE _ WE ARE THE DEAD_FROM DIAMOND DOGS_STAYCOOL_DIAMOND_DOGS_RULE

Comment

Yeah?

So what point are you making Alf?

The reason why what Bowie did and what the banks did is different and why it works for Bowie and not for the banks, is that Bowie sold his "paper" to an independent third party who just wanted the income. The banks sold their paper to another bank, a bank that also had paper to sell.

Effectively (via a nice long merry-go-round) Bank A sold its securitised loans to Bank B, and Bank B sold its securitised loans to Bank A. Yet both Bank A and Bank B thought that they had an extra billion in the kitty to lend out. It's no wonder that it didn't work.

tim

Comment

I take it you mean Alf W Tim ?

Comment

I was making the point that the Chav Press are sinking to ridiculous and protracted levels of nonsense in order to get column inches out of the 'Credit Crunch'.
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Now everything is not Hunky Dory.

The world has now gone to the Dogs, and not diamond one's either.

Comment

Cybertory caused the credit crunch. The only thing that can stop it/him driving us all suicidal is his death. A small price to pay for the nations sanity
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Of course David Bowie's records was the first ever securitization deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X