• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK downturn worsens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK downturn worsens

UK downturn frightening

pretty scary...

The Titanic is now in a vertical upright position and throwing all the passengers into the icy seas as it plunges to the bottom.

I'm alright Jack

"The MPC is running out of conventional bullets"
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      UK downturn frightening

pretty scary...

The Titanic is now in a vertical upright position and throwing all the passengers into the icy seas as it plunges to the bottom.

Given the perpetual doom and gloom posts from you, I am curious - will it be the slashed wrists, overdose, hosepipe from the exhaust pipe or something more imaginative?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        Given the perpetual doom and gloom posts from you, I am curious - will it be the slashed wrists, overdose, hosepipe from the exhaust pipe or something more imaginative?
        Well, compared to most of the doom and gloom merchants he is rather funny, so I would punt for more imaginative.

Do we get a poll?
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
          "The MPC is running out of conventional bullets"
          Have they tried a garlic coated silver bullet with a "G" written on it?
          Last edited by TimberWolf; 13 January 2009, 20:55.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
            I wouldn't call it doom and gloom. It's just part of a normal business cycle. Or do you think ever increasing asset prices and boom times forever are a good thing?

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
              I wouldn't call it doom and gloom. It's just part of a normal business cycle. Or do you think ever increasing asset prices and boom times forever are a good thing?

Gordon Brown doesn't think so. NO RETURN TO BOOM AND BUST !!!!!

Comment

There must be many more people being laid off than the headline figures for mass layoffs suggest. I'd be surprised if it's much fewer than 20,000 a week.

Not sure quite how McDoom plans to get 500,000 back into work - It'll be like trying to fill a leaky bucket.

Unless the Government is toying with the idea of job sharing. Seems an obvious approach if things get much worse - Everyone limited to at most two days' work a week or something, to give more people a chance for at least some employment and training, and to spread the pain.

The income and NI tax take will drop precipitously, but then part time workers will be claiming fewer unemployment benefits or none.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Unless the Government is toying with the idea of job sharing. Seems an obvious approach if things get much worse - Everyone limited to at most two days' work a week or something, to give more people a chance for at least some employment and training, and to spread the pain.
                  Ah ha! Finally we get to the three-day-week that has been promised since I was a nipper.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    Ah ha! Finally we get to the three-day-week that has been promised since I was a nipper.

We already had something similar in the 70s thanks to the miners and electricians.

Comment

Working...
                    X