PDA

View Full Version : UK downturn worsens

BlasterBates
13th January 2009, 17:57
UK downturn frightening (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7825213.stm)

pretty scary...

The Titanic is now in a vertical upright position and throwing all the passengers into the icy seas as it plunges to the bottom.

:eek

MPwannadecentincome
13th January 2009, 17:59
"The MPC is running out of conventional bullets":laugh

PM-Junkie
13th January 2009, 19:09
UK downturn frightening (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7825213.stm)

pretty scary...

The Titanic is now in a vertical upright position and throwing all the passengers into the icy seas as it plunges to the bottom.

:eek

Given the perpetual doom and gloom posts from you, I am curious - will it be the slashed wrists, overdose, hosepipe from the exhaust pipe or something more imaginative?

threaded
13th January 2009, 20:33
Given the perpetual doom and gloom posts from you, I am curious - will it be the slashed wrists, overdose, hosepipe from the exhaust pipe or something more imaginative?

Well, compared to most of the doom and gloom merchants he is rather funny, so I would punt for more imaginative.

Do we get a poll?

TimberWolf
13th January 2009, 20:34
"The MPC is running out of conventional bullets":laugh

Have they tried a garlic coated silver bullet with a "G" written on it?

bobhope
14th January 2009, 08:03

I wouldn't call it doom and gloom. It's just part of a normal business cycle. Or do you think ever increasing asset prices and boom times forever are a good thing?

Cyberman
14th January 2009, 08:05
I wouldn't call it doom and gloom. It's just part of a normal business cycle. Or do you think ever increasing asset prices and boom times forever are a good thing?

Gordon Brown doesn't think so. NO RETURN TO BOOM AND BUST !!!!! :laugh

OwlHoot
14th January 2009, 08:15
There must be many more people being laid off than the headline figures for mass layoffs suggest. I'd be surprised if it's much fewer than 20,000 a week.

Not sure quite how McDoom plans to get 500,000 back into work - It'll be like trying to fill a leaky bucket.

Unless the Government is toying with the idea of job sharing. Seems an obvious approach if things get much worse - Everyone limited to at most two days' work a week or something, to give more people a chance for at least some employment and training, and to spread the pain.

The income and NI tax take will drop precipitously, but then part time workers will be claiming fewer unemployment benefits or none.

Gonzo
14th January 2009, 08:19
Unless the Government is toying with the idea of job sharing. Seems an obvious approach if things get much worse - Everyone limited to at most two days' work a week or something, to give more people a chance for at least some employment and training, and to spread the pain.Ah ha! Finally we get to the three-day-week that has been promised since I was a nipper. :rolleyes:

Cyberman
14th January 2009, 08:21
Ah ha! Finally we get to the three-day-week that has been promised since I was a nipper. :rolleyes:

We already had something similar in the 70s thanks to the miners and electricians. :smokin

expat
14th January 2009, 08:31
We already had something similar in the 70s thanks to the miners and electricians. :smokinWe already had something similar in the 70s thanks to the Tory government.

This time the recession is global, it can hardly be blamed on the government.

Cyberman
14th January 2009, 08:33
,,,,, courtesy of Arthur Scargill and his beloved unionised buddies in search of their annual inflation-busting pay-rises !!!! :laugh

Cyberman
14th January 2009, 08:34
We already had something similar in the 70s thanks to the Tory government.

I always blame Labour.... 99% of the time I am right !!! :laugh

expat
14th January 2009, 08:35
,,,,, courtesy of Arthur Scargill and his beloved unionised buddies in search of their annual inflation-busting pay-rises !!!! :laughNot to be confused with house-owners slavering for their inflation-busting house price rises !!!!

Gonzo
14th January 2009, 08:35

This time the recession is global, it can hardly be blamed on the government.In the 70s power had to be rationed because there wasn't enough to supply all those manufacturing companies 5 days a week.

Thankfully that is not an issue any longer because there is no manufacturing left. :rolleyes:

Gonzo
14th January 2009, 08:41

This time the recession is global, it can hardly be blamed on the government.A bit of trivia, good for permies and not so good for contractors:

Before the 3 day week, if a bank holiday like Christmas or New Years fell on a weekend, it was tough, you didn't get a day off. It was only when the 3 day week was introduced that the guaranteed week-day off was introduced.

Cyberman
14th January 2009, 08:41
In the 70s power had to be rationed because there wasn't enough to supply all those manufacturing companies 5 days a week.

Thankfully that is not an issue any longer because there is no manufacturing left. :rolleyes:

:laugh :rollin: :eek

expat
14th January 2009, 09:03
A bit of trivia, good for permies and not so good for contractors:

Before the 3 day week, if a bank holiday like Christmas or New Years fell on a weekend, it was tough, you didn't get a day off. It was only when the 3 day week was introduced that the guaranteed week-day off was introduced.You're probably on safe ground with that because few people here were working before the 3-day week. But I was, and I don't remember that. However it may just not have happened in my working life.

I do remember working in London and New Year's Day not being a holiday in England. That was quite a shock to a Scottish expat!

Cyberman
14th January 2009, 09:07
You're probably on safe ground with that because few people here were working before the 3-day week. But I was, and I don't remember that. However it may just not have happened in my working life.

I do remember working in London and New Year's Day not being a holiday in England. That was quite a shock to a Scottish expat!

You sound like a young whippersnapper with little experience of life, as are most Labour supporters until they realise the error of their ways. Indeed, Gonzo is correct regarding Bank Holidays !! :laugh

Coalman
14th January 2009, 09:07
:laugh :rollin: :eek

The problem is in a few years there will be no power left either!

AlfredJPruffock
14th January 2009, 09:10
I got up that bit earlier this morning and then spent 15 minutes looking for the key for my bicycle lock - in some ways I thought it shows that when you try to improve something , which could be getting up a bit earlier or pumping billions into the economy somehow events will conspire to reduce your attempts to improve matters.

PS I remember when Xmas Day was not a Bank Holiday in Scotland - England didnt get New Years Day at that time -I think it was the Heath Gov who declared both Scotland and England would have Xmas and New Years Day as holidays.

Mich the Tester
14th January 2009, 09:11
I got up that bit earlier this morning and then spent 15 minutes looking for the key for my bicycle lock - in some ways I thought it shows that when you try to improve something , which could be getting up a bit earlier or pumping billions into the economy somehow events will conspire to reduce your attempts to improve matters.

Shit happens. Exponentially.

Coalman
14th January 2009, 09:11
In the 70s power had to be rationed because there wasn't enough to supply all those manufacturing companies 5 days a week.

This is the quote I should have put in - oops - need more coffee (but not more than 7 cups or will start halucinating and really believing I'm at work).

Over 50% of the UK's power stations are due for closure in the next 10 years. Current plans to replace are about 20-25%.

We'll be lucky to manage a 3 day week.

AlfredJPruffock
14th January 2009, 09:17
tulip happens. Exponentially.

Indeed.

Irony was the aforementioned bicycle key was found in my back trouser pocket which I had diligently placed in the laundry basket last night.

I wont bother getting up that bit earlier tomorrow.

Mich the Tester
14th January 2009, 09:21
Indeed.

Irony was the aforementioned bicycle key was found in my back trouser pocket which I had diligently placed in the laundry basket last night.

I wont bother getting up that bit earlier tomorrow.I got up a bit earlier yesterday and started packing my bag to stay overnight close to ClientCo. I was packing some underwear in the bag and thought ‘where are those underpants I just had in my hand’. Looked around the room and couldn’t find them, so I gave up and took another pair out of the drawer. 10 minutes later I sat down for my morning dump, pulled down my trousers and saw where the undies had gone; I was wearing them.

I’m not very good at early mornings.

expat
14th January 2009, 09:44
PS I remember when Xmas Day was not a Bank Holiday in Scotland - England didnt get New Years Day at that time -I think it was the Heath Gov who declared both Scotland and England would have Xmas and New Years Day as holidays.A fine example of the 2 nations both improving by learning from each other :)

Sadly, probably the last time that happened :(

TimberWolf
14th January 2009, 10:13

I use a combination lock for the bike rather than arse about with keys.

AlfredJPruffock
14th January 2009, 10:14
I use a combination lock for the bike rather than arse about with keys.

But what happens if you forget the combination ?

Theres the rub ...

TimberWolf
14th January 2009, 10:17

Theres the rub ...

I only have a one wheeled combination lock :D

Joking aside, you could easily think of a number that you can remember, even if all the digits are the same.

_V_
14th January 2009, 10:18

Theres the rub ...

Use your wedding anniversary date as the combination. You're never likely to forget that.
;)

AlfredJPruffock
14th January 2009, 10:20
I only have a one wheeled combination lock :D

Joking aside, you could easily think of a number that you can remember, even if all the digits are the same.

Thats a good tip - also you could engrave the number onto the locks surface as well.

TimberWolf
14th January 2009, 10:23
Thats a good tip - also you could engrave the number onto the locks surface as well.

Yep, then it would be just like a cheap fingerprint security system.

d000hg
14th January 2009, 10:40
I always blame Labour.... 99% of the time I am right !!! :laughNo, 90+% of the time you are talking rubbish, but that's not necessarily not anything to do with your political views.

ace00
14th January 2009, 10:47
I don't know, I'm starting to think UK might recover OK if Sterling stays low.
Everyone's pointing out that a net trade deficit means that depreciation = inflation, which is true, but the flipside is of course that process leads to a trade deficit correction. The biggest problem I think is, as usual, the government.

Ruprect
14th January 2009, 11:07

Good to see the propaganda's working