• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signing on / salary during bench time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing on / salary during bench time

Do other contractors continue to pay themselves a salary whilst on the bench, or do you sign on? Or neither?
    Another contractor I work with at the client site was surprised when I mentioned I paid a salary month in month out, regardless of what the company is invoicing, so long as there are funds in the company account to do so.
    My rationale is that other companies pay their staff regardless of what the company invoices. I understand that there is a grey area since I'm also the company's sole director. But since I'm paying myself a salary at all, I think it makes sense to continue to do so when I'm out of contract.

Which leads me to wonder what rights, if any, a contractor has to claim JSA and whatever other handouts are available, when I'm on the bench? Would I have to not pay a salary during this time to be eligible? Does anyone understand the legalities and tax implications of this?
    Just a pondering.

For tax purposes you are a disguised employee and must pay pay pay.

For benefits purposes you are a digusting capitalist director, oppressing hard-working families, and therefore entitled to nothing.

Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      For tax purposes you are a disguised employee and must pay pay pay.

For benefits purposes you are a digusting capitalist director, oppressing hard-working families, and therefore entitled to nothing.

Enjoy.
      lol, so true.
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

CC, I do exactly what you do, pay my salary regardless of bench time. As you say a large company continues to pay its employees even if profits are down (or sack them)

You are in full time employment via your Ltd therefore continue to pay to pay your salary. To my mind its part of the perks to contracting, having time off and still getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
          Which leads me to wonder what rights, if any, a contractor has to claim JSA and whatever other handouts are available, when I'm on the bench? Would I have to not pay a salary during this time to be eligible? Does anyone understand the legalities and tax implications of this?
          Just a pondering.
          You would have to be terminated by the company, rather than just not drawing any salary.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            You would have to be terminated by the company, rather than just not drawing any salary.
            Can you make yourself redundant and pay £30K as redundancy tax free - then close company sign on and start a new company up if you get another contract?
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              Can you make yourself redundant and pay £30K as redundancy tax free - then close company sign on and start a new company up if you get another contract?
              Nope. Although contractor mythology recalls one contractor managing to do this.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I continue to pay my salary regardless of if I am in a contract or not. Remember that your "job" is not working for the end client but working for your company.

During the last downturn I did make an attempt to signing on. It did not get very far and to be honest I could not be bothered. I did take a temping role though for a few weeks filling or emptying envelopes or something similar. The pay was p@nts but it got me out of the house and I quite enjoyed it.
                However mind-numbing the temp role something silly like filling will still pay better and it gets you out of the house doing something different.

To sign on you will need to put the company into a state on non-trading (though you can still have stall charges against it such as accountant fees) and give yourself a P45 (or ask your accountant).

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  I've often thought that there is no reason why this can't be used more and justifiably argued so. Although to do it for each contract is asking for trouble from Hector.

You could close your company citing the current economic climate and that you are considering a total change of career. Go and do a plumbing course, claim it wasn't for you after all when you installed a boiler which blew up, and start a limited again in a few months in your original field. "Needs must" and all that.

How can anyone say you didn't intend the change of career to work out? It's a perfectly plausible chain of events.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
                    I've often thought that there is no reason why this can't be used more and justifiably argued so. Although to do it for each contract is asking for trouble from Hector.

You could close your company citing the current economic climate and that you are considering a total change of career. Go and do a plumbing course, claim it wasn't for you after all when you installed a boiler which blew up, and start a limited again in a few months in your original field. "Needs must" and all that.

How can anyone say you didn't intend the change of career to work out? It's a perfectly plausible chain of events.
                    What a Wizard Wheeze !

Comment

Working...
                    X