• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Card protection on duff purchase.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card protection on duff purchase.

To cut a long story short, I bought a pc base unit over the net and thankfully, paid by CC even if it did add 3% to the total price (£290). Anyhooo, the base unit wasnt built to spec and wouldnt boot.

After complaint to the manufacturer, he agreed to collect at his expense and put right. I returned all the supplied driver discs, booklets and monitor connector.

Base unit was returned to me on friday minus all the driver discs and the monitor connector. I cant connect the monitor to the base unit because the normal vga connector doesnt plug into the graphic card.

So, on Friday I phoned the manufacturer again and told him I wasnt satisfied and he was to supply all the driver discs, booklets and connector for next day delivery.

Instead he just said box it up, I'll arrange collection and refund your money. Click.

I've now sent an email telling him to refund the payment and arrange collection of the base unit (at his expense). I dont see why I should have to pay carriage for shoddy goods.

He should be able to arrange next day collection (he did first time) but as of today, Tuesday evening, he hasnt. I suspect he's either expecting me to pay carriage or is dragging his feet.

I'll give it until Thursday then contact the card company. Can I insist the card company refund me the money and tell them the base unit isnt fit for purpose, that the manufacturer has said he'll refund and collect but to date he hasnt?
    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 13 January 2009, 21:25.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

The goods are not up to scratch and you have paid more than 100 pounds so you are entitled to a refund under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Claim off of the credit card company (applies to Visa and Mastercard) and let the supplier pick up the goods if they won't pay delivery charge.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Can I insist the card company refund me the money and tell them the base unit isnt fit for purpose, that the manufacturer has said he'll refund and collect but to date he hasnt?
      You should be able to - try not to get them to cop out and let you deal with it all. The item is not fit for purpose, and you bought it through a credit card, so there should be the protection there.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
      X