• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working as a real software services company - website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working as a real software services company - website

I currently have 2 projects. On is a simple freelancing gig, they are basically dealing with me as an individual. The other is run through my company and I currently hire one other coder full-time, plus piecework to other people.

The 'real company' route is attractive as it means not only do I charge for my time but make money from those people I supply - plus it's quite good fun.

But I have two issues. The first is knowing when to try and sell myself as a company looking to supply a small dev team, and when to act like a stadard contractor.
    The second is knowing how to present my company. I can have a document for the company which lists services available, which is just copied from my CV... but I don't know how this should be presented. I have a web page template ready for some words but don't know what to say.
    As is clear, I am new to the businessy parts of business. Does anyone here run a small software service/consultancy company?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

To start with you could check what other companies are doing and how they present themselves - it doesn't matter if they are bigger than you. Also, might be worth paying for a couple of days for a marketing expert - at least perhaps chat with business link and see what they suggest or where they point you.
    Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 14 January 2009, 08:18.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Am in similar position. There are two of us contracting as a day job, but also have a TSA with a US company which we are doing some work evenings/weekends, days of etc. We also have another client in the UK which we do some adhoc work as a services company. We currently have someone doing that for us.

It's all a big juggling act, when to move into proper services vs the safety of paying the bills. his downturn certainly doesn't help.

Comment

Working...
      X