• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US Visa's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Visa's

Has anyone used the new US Visa system ?
    I am off to New York in June and was just about to get the visa's sorted. Is a visa the same as a visa waiver ?

I checked their website, but , as usual, first hand info from the CUK congregation is one of the best research resources I know of

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Yes the Visa Waiver is the way to go, but it is actually just a visa you fill in on their website, you must do it at least 3 days before you travel. If you don't you'll maybe spend the night in Leathenworth, which is quite cozy, & sent back on the next plane.

Comment

Haven't used it myself as it only became mandatory this week but...

You fill in all the details that you would normaly put on the I-94 (visa waiver form) in advance and they email you to say Visa/No Visa required. This is then valid for 2 years. You're supposed to update your itinary for each trip and you're still likely to get a grilling from immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        According to the Nice Man from the Septic embassy on R4 yesterday, one could almost fill it in at the airport just before departure.

Yeah.

Right.
        Well, he was obviously missed off the mailing list for the new rules. You have to do it 3 days before.

Comment

do you need a special type of passport though ?

does it have to be chipped ? e-readable type of thing ?

whats turpitude again ? why do they want to know if I have painted my fkin fence ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

I seem to remember something about needing machine readable passports now...
            Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
              I seem to remember something about needing machine readable passports now...
              Yes, for the VWP you need an e-Passport if it was issued after Oct 2006

There are complex rules, you need to get your travel agent to give you detail.

Comment

My in - laws got sent back once because one of their passports was not machine readable, they only made it as far as the connecting flight in Paris.

I would check to be sure.
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  My in - laws got sent back once because one of their passports was not machine readable, they only made it as far as the connecting flight in Paris.

I would check to be sure.
                  blooming heck. that could spoil your day

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    blooming heck. that could spoil your day

A fellow member of the congregation here spent the night in Leavenworth, got the rubber glove treatment, the works, before being sent back...

Comment

Working...
                    X