• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

101 Reasons why appraisals are useless.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

101 Reasons why appraisals are useless.

1. Given exactly the same set of facts/circumstances/targets an appraisal can be a dazzling success, or a miserable failure.

2. Most people think they deserve a good appraisal. So a good one doesn't increase motivation. But an average or bad one certainly decreases motivation. Appraisals therefore increase discontent in the workforce.

3. They only exists to give HR a raison d'être.

... any more?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    1. Given exactly the same set of facts/circumstances/targets an appraisal can be a dazzling success, or a miserable failure.

2. Most people think they deserve a good appraisal. So a good one doesn't increase motivation. But an average or bad one certainly decreases motivation. Appraisals therefore increase discontent in the workforce.

... any more?
    4. As a permie it was sometimes the only time my line manager could be bothered to talk to any of his team - all work dished out via PM.
    Beer
    is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

the quality of the appraisal is actually down to:
      a) the people doing it - most managers are rubbish at them, particularly as they see it as a hassle particularly if they have to do the whole team at the same time of year
      b) company policy - the bell curve - official policy in most big companies is to persuade everyone they are in the middle of the bell curve. what makes this even more interesting after a round of redundancies is that the not so good people are not around no so they think the bell curve has shifted - your appraisal rating is supposed to shift with it!
      c) how interested the company really is in developing people
      d) it used to be the fact that most graddies left after 2 years no matter what so most managers didn't bother to do much on their appraisals

To turn the question around if you are smart you can play the game to your advantage.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

... any more?
        WGAF? Appraisals are for permies...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Good people don’t give a tulip because they can leave and get a better job somewhere else anyway. Crap people won’t be made better by appraisals.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            WGAF? Appraisals are for permies...
            Firstly WHS with bells on

I think
            They only exists to give HR a raison d'être.
            is up there very high at the top.

Another use they have is to give the VIP (very important permie) manager types an opportunity to remind themselves just how important and significant they are.

Bless
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Because a crap manager will use it as a substitute for regular feedback on performance and a crap employee will use it for an annual whinge.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Would getting a good appraisal when you feel you deserve one not serve to endorse your opinion of your efforts during the year? Surely a good review would provide a sense of satisfaction that others have also recognised your endeavour? Additionally if the good review was deserved then it should encourage you to perform more of the same?

Comment

Used as an excuse prior to Pay Rise time to justify why you won't be getting the full whack (or anything) this year, which makes them look better in balancing their budgets.
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

My last "appraisal" that I had (a long while ago now, and hopefully the last I ever have), my manager brought up some stuff he hadn't mentioned before, a cardinal sin with appraisals, and made it very clear he was taking the credit for anything that went well. That confirmed to me that he was a moron - I went contracting 3 months later and haven't looked back since.

So from my respect I think appraisals are a wonderful thing
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X