• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Exchange Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exchange Rates

I'm doing more and more offsite work for a US based client. Last month I just took the GBP/USD exchange rate as at 6pm on 31st from the BBC website, and applied that to my invoice, lazy I know but it was the 31st!

I'd like to apply the monthly average rate to my invoices, as that's a fairer way of evaluating the worth of work done over the period, but I cannot seem to find a website that gives me this easily, and I really don't want to have to do this daily and take an average. Also, what is the 'official' rate as every site I've checked gives a different value, and when does the rate for that day close, 6pm, 8pm?

So, on 31 Jan (I should do it on 1 Feb right?) I want the average GBP/USD exchange rate for Jan. Sounds easy, and probably is.

Thanks in Advance

Do you have a contract? If so, shouldn't that state a prevailing exchange rate? If not, pick the rate which is most advantageous to you...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
      I'm doing more and more offsite work for a US based client. Last month I just took the GBP/USD exchange rate as at 6pm on 31st from the BBC website, and applied that to my invoice, lazy I know but it was the 31st!

I'd like to apply the monthly average rate to my invoices, as that's a fairer way of evaluating the worth of work done over the period, but I cannot seem to find a website that gives me this easily, and I really don't want to have to do this daily and take an average. Also, what is the 'official' rate as every site I've checked gives a different value, and when does the rate for that day close, 6pm, 8pm?

So, on 31 Jan (I should do it on 1 Feb right?) I want the average GBP/USD exchange rate for Jan. Sounds easy, and probably is.

Thanks in Advance
      I think the Bank of England has a monthly average available on their website. I note though that there is no such thing as an "official" exchange rate. The BofE emphasize that their rate is not "official".

Why do you need the exchange rate? Or more precisely, why do you have to be so precise? I invoice in Euros and have it paid into my GBP Co bank account: So if I invoice 10000 EUR, I put that on my invoice as 10000 EUR and (say) 8000 GBP. The client actually pays 10000 EUR, and if in the meantime the rate has changed, then my bank credits me with (say) 9000 GBP.

So from the point of view of my accounting, I have an invoice payment of 8000 GBP plus an "exchange gain" of 1000 GBP. So everything adds up; and if I had been able to put on the invoice the figure that would later become reality, i.e. 9000 GBP instead of 8000, it wouldn't have made any real difference: 9000 GBP invoice plus exchange gain/loss 0.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        I think the Bank of England has a monthly average available on their website. I note though that there is no such thing as an "official" exchange rate. The BofE emphasize that their rate is not "official".

Why do you need the exchange rate? Or more precisely, why do you have to be so precise? I invoice in Euros and have it paid into my GBP Co bank account: So if I invoice 10000 EUR, I put that on my invoice as 10000 EUR and (say) 8000 GBP. The client actually pays 10000 EUR, and if in the meantime the rate has changed, then my bank credits me with (say) 9000 GBP.

So from the point of view of my accounting, I have an invoice payment of 8000 GBP plus an "exchange gain" of 1000 GBP. So everything adds up; and if I had been able to put on the invoice the figure that would later become reality, i.e. 9000 GBP instead of 8000, it wouldn't have made any real difference: 9000 GBP invoice plus exchange gain/loss 0.
        The client pays the GBP amount on my USD invoice, so they take the gain/hit on exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
          The client pays the GBP amount on my USD invoice, so they take the gain/hit on exchange.
          They pay a fixed USD amount, but pay it in GBP at the rate that you state? Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            They pay a fixed USD amount, but pay it in GBP at the rate that you state? Hmm.
            Yes, and it's paid within 4hrs

Comment

Wow I would love to be in your position. Small, even a 2% markup on the real exchange rate every month and you make a tidy "bonus"

All above board I imagine as there is no contractual oblication to state any specific exchange rate?

How bizzare, are your clients a bit thicko or just awash with loadsmoney, and if the latter, can I get a job please

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
                Wow I would love to be in your position. Small, even a 2% markup on the real exchange rate every month and you make a tidy "bonus"

All above board I imagine as there is no contractual oblication to state any specific exchange rate?

How bizzare, are your clients a bit thicko or just awash with loadsmoney, and if the latter, can I get a job please
                The inland revenue publish a monthly average rate (at least they do for EUR, I expect they do the same for USD) which you need to use for accounting purposes.

The extra you make counts as profit for CT (IIRC - it's been a while since I was a "Moscow" mule )
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  The inland revenue publish a monthly average rate (at least they do for EUR, I expect they do the same for USD) which you need to use for accounting purposes.

The extra you make counts as profit for CT (IIRC - it's been a while since I was a "Moscow" mule )
                  Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just for VAT? For accounting, you don't need to use that rate.

And surely the extra you make counts as company income: not profit unless retained.

Comment

Indeed, although I think I'd be foolish to push my luck really.

Yes, all above board. The consultancy emails me the work, I VPN in, do the tasks, email back the work completed, log the hours, and invoice monthly. They'll be making a nice margin as it's all being re-billed to the end client anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X