• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barrel Scraping redefined

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel Scraping redefined

Shane Ritchie poised to reinvent Minder

In the name of Cheese, why?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Shane Ritchie poised to reinvent Minder

In the name of Cheese, why?
    Reggie Perrin makes screen comeback

Why? Why?

Comment

Not just that but...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a1424...ie-perrin.html

Clunes confirmed for new Reggie Perrin

Wednesday, January 14 2009, 14:42 GMT
      By Alex Fletcher, Entertainment Reporter
      Rex Features

Martin Clunes has signed up to star in a reimagining of classic BBC sitcom The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin.
      The Doc Martin star will play the title role, while Cold Feet's Fay Ripley, Butterflys actress Wendy Craig, Worst Week Of My Life star Geoffrey Whitehead, Game On's Neil Stuke and Moving Wallpaper's Lucy Liemann are also confirmed for the cast.
      Simon Nye, who worked with Clunes of Men Behaving Badly, will write the script with original creator David Nobb. The six 30-minute episodes will air later this year.
      "I am really excited about Reggie Perrin returning to our screens," said BBC One Controller Jay Hunt. "It feels as fresh and sharp now as it did all those years ago. It will be a vital part of our overall comedy offering on the channel."
      The original show, which ran for three series between 1976 and 1979 and starred the late Leonard Rossiter, followed the story of sales executive Reggie Perrin, who found himself struggling with a mid-life crisis because of the monotony of his life, marriage and office job.
      A follow-up series starring Geoffrey Palmer, The Legacy Of Reginald Perrin, ran for one series in 1996.

Comment

It's the same in the cinema, why the heck are there so many re-makes, when the originals are great.
        Its as if people are so afraid of doing something new, taking a chance and maybe failing at it, that they have to stick to the tried and tested formulas that have already worked.

It does annoy me.
        I am trying to think of a remake that was better than the original, and I cant.
        Can anyone else?
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Every other film is a remake, be it kitch 60s and 70s Tv or 1950s science fiction. It shows a real lack of imagination/investment in new writing talent

I can't think of many remakes better than the original, infact maybe only Cape Fear
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            It's the same in the cinema, why the heck are there so many re-makes, when the originals are great.
            Its as if people are so afraid of doing something new, taking a chance and maybe failing at it, that they have to stick to the tried and tested formulas that have already worked.

It does annoy me.
            Can anyone else?
            Maybe. Just maybe. It's a challenge.

1. Solaris. To my immense surprise, the remake starring George Clooney is a well-made adaptation. I know I'm supposed to go on about the much longer Russian original, and I can BS on cinema with the best of them, but TBH unless you're really interested in Tarkovsky, and if you only want to watch one version, this one is good. Clooney acted a good understated job here, that's why it bombed at the box-office: he didn't play the big star that his fans wanted.

2. The 39 Steps. The modern remake is closer to Buchan's novel, if that's what you want.

3. Um, let me think a bit....

Comment

Hmmmm, I see a possible plan B here - writing sitcoms. Clearly what is being submitted at the moment is complete dross if they have to resort to this stuff.

I can see it now - along the "Bread" lines but centred on a couple of hard up Bankers who have met with hard times....
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post

It does annoy me.
                Can anyone else?
                I don't think it's neccessarily fear of the new, it's the knowledge that the past sells.

There are great new movies being released every year, it's just they don't become classics overnight.

I think I Am Legend is better than The Omega Man but it's not really a re-make, more of a rip off and re-write.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Can think of a few

Ocean's 11
                  Postman Always Rings Twice
                  Payback
                  Ransom
                  The Thomas Crown Affair
                  War of the Worlds

(Though I did watch a few of the remakes before the originals)

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
                    Can think of a few

Ocean's 11
                    Postman Always Rings Twice
                    Payback
                    Ransom
                    The Thomas Crown Affair
                    War of the Worlds

(Though I did watch a few of the remakes before the originals)
                    Then the remake is the original in your mind. IMHO remakes these days often dumb down the subject matter.

PS just thought of one that is better: David Cronenberg's The Fly is better than the daft Vincent Price version
                    Last edited by Bagpuss; 14 January 2009, 17:16.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X