• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A happy day for Cyberman

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A happy day for Cyberman

Just got a letter through today from my pension provider telling me that I can start drawing my salary-linked pension from age 55 and they are not making deductions even though I will start drawing early.
    The pension was deferred from when I started contracting 13 years ago and the value is far above what I thought it would be and there will be a nice lump sum to clear my mortgage. That was a nice surprise considering what Gordon has done to most private sector pensions.

Only 18 months to go so I am well happy !!! SMUG

All I need now is a good result on my Northern Rock shares held in my SIPP !!

Anybody else retiring soon ?

Can you retire from this board?
    Lick my Chutney Lollipop

Comment

Good stuff Cyber! - Defo a pleasant surprise.

Comment

Thanks Liability.

It's not often I get good financial news these days, in fact it has been fairly dire since Y2K. It's nice knowing that I won't have to work again unless I really want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          Thanks Liability.

It's not often I get good financial news these days, in fact it has been fairly dire since Y2K. It's nice knowing that I won't have to work again unless I really want to.
          I got that feeling from reading your post - hence it must be excellent. I can only wish - I'm still alot younger but hopefully Ill be there soon. I just hate the fact that I have a mortgage and its such a burden. If I didnt have a mortgage - Id be happy, even though I can afford it etc - if that makes sense!

So does that mean you now dont care about getting a role or the downturn as much?

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
            I got that feeling from reading your post - hence it must be excellent. I can only wish - I'm still alot younger but hopefully Ill be there soon. I just hate the fact that I have a mortgage and its such a burden. If I didnt have a mortgage - Id be happy, even though I can afford it etc - if that makes sense!

So does that mean you now dont care about getting a role or the downturn as much?

Well, I'm certainly not as concerned as I was, but I do feel for many people that are less fortunate than myself.
            Financial stability gives me plenty of time to venture into other areas of interest without worrying about how I pay the bills. Having suffered health problems last year, work is not very high on my list of priorities.

Comment

Should help to pay for the Daily Mail deliveries

Seriously though, congratulations - it must feel wonderful to get good news like that in the current climate

Comment

Congrats, better than nothing.

But if it isn't index linked you might still be working until you drop like the rest of us (or some of us) ...
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 15 January 2009, 05:58.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I trust you'll be blaming this good news on New Labour.

Excellent news though! Congrats!

Comment

I too got some good news yesterday - Ealing council are refunding a "Stuck in a box junction" fine they gave me earlier in the year!

Is real life turning into Monopoly?

Comment

Working...
                    X