• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Judgement Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judgement Query

After not being paid for a contract, I have been advised to issue a judgement claim via HMCS Money Claim.

As the client has not paid the agency, should I issue against the agency, or both agency and client?#

Thanks.

You can only claim against someone you have a contract with, so only the agency.

They can counter claim against the client if they want.

IMO seek legal advice!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Law of contract says that you can only go after the people that you have a contract with, i.e. the agency.

Law of tort says that you can go after the client.

I'd go after the agency, though, as you are more likely to be successful.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would strongly advise you to issue against the agent and client. Although the agent is mainly responsible it gives an extra incentive for him to pay up if you do to both. it also save wrangling on who should pay who.

I have done this twice in ten years and won the cases hands down (plus costs awarded to me) even without timesheets. The bottom line is, if you have done the work; they have to pay up.

You are also allowed up to £9 per hour for preparing your case.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
        X