• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bird Strikes - plane crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird Strikes - plane crash

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7832191.stm

I didn't know birds had the ability to bring planes down these days. Surely there must be some way of preventing this?

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post

I didn't know birds had the ability to bring planes down these days. Surely there must be some way of preventing this?
    Not something I know much about, but I thought the same as you. Don't they do a thing they call a "chicken test" on engines to make sure they can cope with something hitting it?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Normally airports have bird-scarers. Flocks of birds are disastrous to jet engines and vice-versa.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
        Not something I know much about, but I thought the same as you. Don't they do a thing they call a "chicken test" on engines to make sure they can cope with something hitting it?

Just goes to show that there are limitations with MBAs !!

Comment

Have heard various forms of the chicken test but have never been sure how much truth was in it.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post

The bird strikes took two engines out at take off ie when the plane is verging between stalling and flying.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

It's not really possible to ensure that an engine can remain operational after a bird strike. The requirement is that the engine can be shut down safely after a 4lb bird strike.

Assuming a bird weighing 4lb, hit at 170mph (the A320's takeoff speed), the forces involved are so high that it isn't really practicable to make all the engine components strong enough to survive the impact and remain operational.

In this case, it seems they were unlucky enough to have both engines suffer a strike. And if they hit a flock of geese or something, the birds would weigh a fair bit more than 4lb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_Strike#Vehicle_design
              Last edited by NickFitz; 15 January 2009, 21:58. Reason: Corrected takeoff speed

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                It's not really possible to ensure that an engine can remain operational after a bird strike. The requirement is that the engine can be shut down safely after a 4lb bird strike.

Assuming a bird weighing 4lb, hit at 170mph (the A320's takeoff speed), the forces involved are so high that it isn't really practicable to make all the engine components strong enough to survive the impact and remain operational.

In this case, it seems they were unlucky enough to have both engines suffer a strike. And if they hit a flock of geese or something, the birds would weigh a fair bit more than 4lb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_Strike#Vehicle_design
                Thanks - interesting stuff. Perhaps I was better off being ignorant though...I'll be that much more nervous next time I fly!
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

They use ' frozen chickens' in a test rig - there is one set up at RR in Derby. Mr ZB works in the aerospace industry
                  Last edited by zara_backdog; 15 January 2009, 22:36. Reason: oops
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Bird strikes are serious - they can shatter the fan blades which are then ingested into the compressor reducing pressure to the combustor, then it's game over..

Comment

Working...
                    X