• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When I were a lad..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I were a lad..

It were common sight to see coal lorry plying the streets, dropping off one hundredweight (1 cwt) sacks of coal.
    In those days, the smell of coal fires pervaded the streets and it was someones job to go out to the coal-hole , on a freezing winters night to fill the coal scuttle.
    Lighting a fire took a special skill, only posh people could afford fire lighters, if you were really good, you could light it without wood, just newspaper. Cleaning the grate was another task, for the first person up the next morning, very messy and played havoc with the sinuses.

I heard about 'Smokeless Zones' before I ever heard about central heating. My mum told me we were to become a smokeless zone 'er brilliant. whats that mum?' from then on we had to buy coke, instead of coal. Coke was more expensive, harder to light but it burned hotter, longer and most importantly, it didn't spit or explode and set fire to the carpet.

ee lad, we had it tough

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Even in the early 1980s we were still heated by coal. It was an absolute pain and I hope I never have to do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Even in the early 1980s we were still heated by coal. It was an absolute pain and I hope I never have to do that again.
      ee lad.
      when did you last see a coalman ? smell a coal fire ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        ee lad.
        when did you last see a coalman ? smell a coal fire ?

In the early 1980s. If I were to see a coalman now it would bring back unhappy memories.

Give me gas/electric heating any day!

I suppose you get your Butler to sort out your coal for you?

Comment

Ei lad, I could start a coal fire jus'wi'paper. You make these origami ships and stack your fleet carefully. Then place the coal careful not to crush the ships. Once you can manage that proper you can just light it and it burns every time.

Also make sure wood ain't too tight in t'ole, otherwise no air can int' room t'get t'fire. Which usually meant just pulling the snake away from the bottom of the door.

Comment

You don't see totters these days either. I remember in Brixton in the early 80s you'd regularly hear their cry "rag and BONE!" as they trotted down the street. Always amazed me how they could make any money out of the carp they collected, but I suppose they picked up better stuff now and then.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              In the early 1980s. If I were to see a coalman now it would bring back unhappy memories.

Give me gas/electric heating any day!

I suppose you get your Butler to sort out your coal for you?
              butler lad ?
              eee

wern't he chap from 'on t buses?'

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

ee lad.
                when did you last see a coalman ?
                Last saw a working coal truck 2 and half years ago in Chesterfield
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

when did you last see a coalman?
                  Times has changed

Comment

I see a coal delivery lorry on our street every now and then... like a small flatbed with sacks of coal and a small grabber. Does this count? Certainly lots of people still burn real coal around here.

We also get about 3 rag-n-bone men a week come past.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X