• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would this fall under MSC rules?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this fall under MSC rules?

When the MSC legislation was brought in I took no notice as it didn't apply to me. I've now Googled for info and I think that the following wouldn't fall under the MSC legislation but I'd like your views

I'm considering switching my working arrangements to become a PAYE employee of the family firm. I won't be a shareholder and I'll still undertake contracting work. I'll be paid a flat salary of less than the value of the contract.

So in theory I'll look just like an Accenture etc. employee although I'll be the only contractor and I have a family relationship with the two other directors and shareholders.

Income from contracting will quickly overtake income from other sources, so it could probably be argued that the company's "main" business is provision of IT services.

As I won't be involved in running the company, the existing directors might be characterised as "facilitating" the arrangement but certainly won't be "promoting" it to anyone else.

Any views anyone on whether this would fall under the MSC legislation?

If it does, I assume that means that the entirety of the contracting revenue would need to be paid to me as PAYE?

Thanks.

My understanding reading that...... but I could be very, very wrong....

Is that if you are going to be paid fully under PAYE then you don't have to worry about MSC legislation.

IANAL etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
    X