• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Think you have purchase protection with your credit card?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think you have purchase protection with your credit card?

Think again! Or at least if you use RBS Mastercard.

Absolutely fuming after speaking to this bunch of cowboys. You may remember previous posts about the faulty pc I bought using this credit card. The manufacturer has verbally agreed to collect the faulty pc and refund my money to the card.

That was over a week ago and no collection and no refund. Have contacted them a few times without any joy. So in frustration contacted the card co today.

Spoke to an assistant explained all the story and that the manufacturer has agree to collect and refund and a call to the card co last night confirmed no refund had been made.

Card co says nothing we can do as its a verbal agreement by manufacturer to refund. They said get it in writing from them! WTF! I've already told them the manufacturer isnt respondingto emails so how can I get it in writing? We dont know but you need it in writing they say.

OK, so suppose the manufacturer had asked me to return then failed to refund? Card co say you shouldnt do this. Where does it say that in your T&C's I asked? It doesnt, they said.

So, I'd returned it on the understanding of a refund, the manufacturer says ha, ha, ha. **** off! and the card co wont do anything. Er yes says the card co! Unbelievable.

When I mentioned sale of goods and fit for purpose etc and card co say 'dont worry, you have protection if goods over £100' they're talking bollocks.

Obviously with so many companies going bust, card co's are taking a hammering and trying to get out of their responsibilities.

Im going to contact trading standards and if \ when its sorted, RBS credit card to get to **** themselves.
    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 16 January 2009, 13:41.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Tell them (and follow through with the threat) that you are going to talk to trading standards. This is covered under the consumer credit act.

Comment

I had a similar problem with a Natwest credit card (so probably the same department as you're dealing with at RBS). This related to a hotel charging me for an extra night as I didn't check out in person. I assumed that because I had paid in advance & not charged anything to my room I could just leave, which I won't be doing again.

Anyway I phoned natwest/RBS saying I considered the transaction to be fraudulant. They refused to do anything and said contact the hotel. The hotel were worse than useless and adament I stayed an extra night, despite flight tickets etc. that proved otherwise.

So I wrote to Natwest thretening to go to the Financial Service Ombudsman and saying I was holding them liable for my loss under the Consumer Credit Act. This resulted in a full refund of the disputed amount.

Bottom line: chase it all the way & you will get it back. Then get a new credit card.

Comment

They have to pay up and then chase the manufacturer. The credit card gives you this guarantee if the goods are over 100 pounds in value

Section 75 Credit Card Act 1974 !!

Comment

Just got off the phone with my locat Trading Standards.

They said to send recorded delivery letter to manufacturer sating under Sale of Goods Act, goods are not of merchantable quality, fit for purpose etc and that I have verbally accepted their offer of collection and full refund. Inform them they have 7 days to comply. If they dont do this after 7 days to contact TS again.

They said credit card co's are bing hit hard by all the failed companies but they are correct in that they can just take word for it, it needs to be in writing.

They have to pay up and then chase the manufacturer. The credit card gives you this guarantee if the goods are over 100 pounds in value

Section 75 Credit Card Act 1974 !!
          Yes, but try getting them to do it! They want everything in writing and if the trader goes into administration, you could be waiting years.

In my case, the manufacturer has verbally agreed to collect and a full refund. Try getting them to put that in writing when they wont come and collect. The card co says they wont get involved unless its in writing so basically, you're ****ed!

Comment

Would it help if you quote MasterCard Reason Code 53 at your bank? As a MasterCard Member, they should comply with this.

Definition: MasterCard Dispute Reason Code 53: Cardholder Dispute - Defective/Not As Described.

The customer claims the goods or services received did not match the description/picture on your website or other documentation/information they received from you or the merchandise arrived broken or could not be used for it's intended purpose. Additionally the customer claims they either returned the merchandise, cancelled the service or attempted to resolve the dispute with the you.

Q: Was credit processed? Yes

Result: This chargeback can be represented.

The documentation needed is:

A print out of the credit (if issued to the credit card)

Or

A copy of the front and back of the cancelled check or money order (if issued by check or money order)

If the credit issued was a partial credit, be sure to include an explanation as to why full credit was not issued.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Think again! Or at least if you use RBS Mastercard.

Absolutely fuming after speaking to this bunch of cowboys. You may remember previous posts about the faulty pc I bought using this credit card. The manufacturer has verbally agreed to collect the faulty pc and refund my money to the card.

You have to mention the magic words "section 75" otherwise they will continue to fob you off

tim

Comment

I had a similar experience with a PC supplier about a year ago, again with an RBS credit card, but got a totally different level of support.
                They sent me a letter to sign, performed a chargeback and sent me a letter confirming the chargeback, all quite painless.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  I had a similar experience with a PC supplier about a year ago, again with an RBS credit card, but got a totally different level of support.
                  They sent me a letter to sign, performed a chargeback and sent me a letter confirming the chargeback, all quite painless.

I mentioned this to them about a charge back but they werent interested. 'Got to have an independent report that the goods are faulty.' That's not the problem, they're now incomplete.

You have to mention the magic words "section 75" otherwise they will continue to fob you off

tim
                  What does Section 75 say?

Would it help if you quote MasterCard Reason Code 53 at your bank? As a MasterCard Member, they should comply with this.
                  Its not my bank, its the credit card issuer who will wont do anything unless I have an independent report or the manufacturer sends me written confirmation he'll do a refund but then doesnt give a refund!

EDIT; I've found the relevant Section 75. Reading that, the ******* RBS are just trying to circumvent the consumer protection in law.

The bastards are making people caught up in the MFI collapse jump through hoops when you listen to the pre recorded message on their card enquiry line!
                  Last edited by BolshieBastard; 16 January 2009, 18:53.

Comment

Oh btw, many thanks to all for the info re Section 75 and other courses of action.

Comment

Working...
                    X