• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Odd jobs from yesteryear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd jobs from yesteryear

Worth considering in the current economic climate.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22277/42618

Note the 5th ad down. Is that how AtW is making his millions?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

I learnt to mount birds a long time ago
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Seeing as I graduated in a recession, I had to take any job available. I spent two years working as a plastic welder in sewage installations, fitting plastic protective covers to the concrete. In a sewer, ye olde shytte sticks to the concrete, and in dry weather, if the concrete dries out, ye shytte falls off and take great chunks of concrete with it. The plastic linings were intended to prevent the adhesion of turd to the cloacular walls.

It paid very well for a shytte job, and I learnt a valuable lesson; if you want good money, do a job that nobody wants to do; so I became a tester.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

http://thebothanspy.com/bothanusers/....Odd%20Job.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          I learnt to mount birds a long time ago
          I was a chicken plucker once
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
            Worth considering in the current economic climate.

http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22277/42618

Note the 5th ad down. Is that how AtW is making his millions?
            Yes sir, out of a real squirrel
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Seeing as I graduated in a recession, I had to take any job available. I spent two years working as a plastic welder in sewage installations, fitting plastic protective covers to the concrete. In a sewer, ye olde shytte sticks to the concrete, and in dry weather, if the concrete dries out, ye shytte falls off and take great chunks of concrete with it. The plastic linings were intended to prevent the adhesion of turd to the cloacular walls.

It paid very well for a shytte job, and I learnt a valuable lesson; if you want good money, do a job that nobody wants to do; so I became a tester.
              I suspect I graduated at about the same time, late 80's. Jobs that kept me afloat included working in a crab processing plant in Cornwall. Worst job I've ever done and I quit after a week.

Others included selling discount cards for restaurents door to door, security guard and motorcycle courier.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                I suspect I graduated at about the same time, late 80's. Jobs that kept me afloat included working in a crab processing plant in Cornwall. Worst job I've ever done and I quit after a week.

Others included selling discount cards for restaurents door to door, security guard and motorcycle courier.
                Late 80s here and I did my share of tulip jobs that I still use as motivation when I'm bored tulipless. 12hr night shifts in a bakery and working in an ice cream factory on a production line are the ones I remember with horror.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Others included selling discount cards for restaurents door to door...
                  I've done that!
                  Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

A guy that I used to work with told me how during the Blitz in the war it was his job to go around collecting pieces of meat from bombsites where bodies had been blown apart, burned etc, and he had to collect a certain weight to enable a funeral.... just a pound was required from what I remember.

Comment

Working...
                    X