• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Serious friday afternoon topic (not for sasguru,atw,dp,etc.)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious friday afternoon topic (not for sasguru,atw,dp,etc.)

Is there still a future in I.T.?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

I don't no what 'it' is?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I would have thought sasguru would be the perfect man to answer this!

I reckon there is a future - in India

HTH

Comment

I would say there will be a future for those of us who have good skill sets and the ability to deliver, hopefully it will get rid of all the dross though.

I look forward to the day that blagging ***** with their 10 years experience in Windows 7 are unable to get a job despite offering to work for the lowest rate around.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
          I would say there will be a future for those of us who have good skill sets and the ability to deliver, hopefully it will get rid of all the dross though.

I look forward to the day that blagging ***** with their 10 years experience in Windows 7 are unable to get a job despite offering to work for the lowest rate around.
          They said so after the .com boom. To me it doesn't look like there is a difference now than how it was almost a decade years ago.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Of course there is. More and more things run using computers. Soon everything will be using computers.

Comment

No.

All things eventually progress from bespoke software to commodity hardware. Once upon a time it was a skilled and well-paid thing to be able to network PCs in an office, but now you pay a spotty 19 yr old minimum wage to plug in cables and swap boxes. A router and firewall was once a *nix server that required expert set up, but now it's a £30 plastic device from Amazon that your gran could get working.

My own field (Java) has largely been static for the last few years, and if anything it's getting simpler. Just learn Spring/Hibernate, and forget EJB, JNDI, most of J2EE etc. Gone are the days when you needed really clever Java people to piece together a successful application.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                No.

All things eventually progress from bespoke software to commodity hardware. Once upon a time it was a skilled and well-paid thing to be able to network PCs in an office, but now you pay a spotty 19 yr old minimum wage to plug in cables and swap boxes. A router and firewall was once a *nix server that required expert set up, but now it's a £30 plastic device from Amazon that your gran could get working.

My own field (Java) has largely been static for the last few years, and if anything it's getting simpler. Just learn Spring/Hibernate, and forget EJB, JNDI, most of J2EE etc. Gone are the days when you needed really clever Java people to piece together a successful application.
                Up to a point that's true, but new technologies always seem simple at first and then grow bells and whistles like topsy. I mean COBOL and C were a lot simpler than the assemblers they supplanted, especially when first released, but with all respect I doubt your granny could write an app in either.

Also, luckily for us, every company thinks their requirements are unique, and they're probably usually right. So there'll be a lot of wheel reinventing for the foreseeable future.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                X