• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

police service- ineffectual?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

police service- ineffectual?

I believe in Law and Order. I want to see criminals brought to justice.

But I see no fear of the police from those who they should be bringing into justice- feral youths don't care, they laugh at them. I see increase in violence and drugs in society generally. Protests, such as those supporting Gaza, seem to be increasingly violent yet our media is suspiciously quiet reporting them. Had they instead been football fans causing such a disturbance there would be lots of publicity, lots of people condemning the violence.

and then I see the police banging on about "diversity" and over the top rights for sexual minorities, whilst clamping down hard on those expressing Christian morality. Thought crimes punished harshly, so many real crimes ignored.

few years ago someone had broken into my car (I still don't know how) and stole the contents from my boot worth up to £200. The police didn't even come round to have a look.

few nights ago one of my neighbour's alarms went on for at least 36 hours. Police said they weren't interested in coming round, despite the numerous possibilities of someone in there being in some kind of distress, or a break in. Would you believe it they even asked me to collect the evidence and send it to them- as if I'd be as thick as to get my footprints and fingerprints anywhere near!!!!

The worst thing is the tone of voice they employ when they tell us they can't come round to have a look. One calls them with genuine concerns or reporting a crime, but it's not met with the same concern our outrage, more of a "how dare you waste our time" attitude. And we pay for this "service".

And so I've lost confidence in the policing in this country. Next time they ask for a pay increase I will campaign against. And I shouldn't be feeling like this given that I'm a natural supporter and wish to see law and order upheld and a return of the death penalty.
    Last edited by contractor79; 18 January 2009, 19:27.

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    few nights ago one of my neighbour's alarms went on for at least 36 hours. Police said they weren't interested in coming round, despite the numerous possibilities of someone in there being in some kind of distress, or a break in. Would you believe it they even asked me to collect the evidence and send it to them- as if I'd be as thick as to get my footprints and fingerprints anywhere near!!!!

I had this happen to me recently when some neighbours went abroad and their alarm kept going off. When I spoke to the Police on this apparently it isn't their responsibility, it's that of the Council who enforce it through noise pollution or so, I think it comes under the Environment Agency. Anyway I was given a number to call, apparently if it's been going off for over 4 hours or so they will come and check it out and can legally break in etc to resolve?.. called the number on a Saturday evening to discover they only work Mon-Fri office hours.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
      .. called the number on a Saturday evening to discover they only work Mon-Fri office hours.
      I called the police after coming home from work on Friday only to discover the alarm was STILL going on, only for them to again make the same claim it's nothing to do with them and be put through to environmental who said no one available until monday morning

this is just appalling service these situations could be life or death, I bet you one of these days this will actually happen that someone will die because our police wouldn't come round

Comment

Poor role models.
        We have a member of this board (EternalOptimist) bragging about how he steals from other people, and he gets applauded for it, all it takes is for kids to learn thieving is acceptable, and they are more than likely to do it themselves.

Comment

I once saw a punch-up in a fish and chip takeaway at about 11.30pm where a guy had pushed to the front of the queue. Two guys complained and he proceeded to beat the shyte out of them. I witnessed this from outside where I was eating my takeaway. Both guys were left lying on the floor badly bruised and bleeding and the owner served this guy who was quite large, and he then walked off and hopped into his car parked on the side of the main road.

The owner called the police who turned up within a few minutes. The two guys who were beaten up did not want to press charges, which I thought was rather strange, but I said to the police that I would willingly attend court as a witness because this sort of brutal behaviour was totally out of order. The police said that they could not take this any further because the guys did not want to press charges.

I then asked what would they have done if the guys had been killed, because then they would not have been able to press charges either.
          Their reply was 'Oh, that's a different case !'

I said to them well what if I press charges, and they said that I can't. The guy that had committed this offence was still sitting in his car watching all of this going on, and I told the police where he was. The police would not even breathalyse him, when it was pretty obvious to me that he had been drinking, and I think that this was due to the fact that they felt intimidated, because one of the two officers was a woman. I still wonder today whether that violent thug went on to murder somebody because his terrible behaviour was totally ignored.

My faith in justice died that day !!

Comment

cyberman- it's exactly that sort of thing I'm getting at. The rules they seem to have are baffling, they seem to have rules to not do anything except it seems harass easy targets. Is it any wonder crime is just out of control. Labour politicians don't want to admit this. Tories want the coppers votes so they don't criticise police.

Comment

I'm astounded someone could stand back and watch others getting beaten up. I thing its a disgrace that the "witness" didn't even try to stop what happened.

Mods, we need a head shaking smilie...
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                I'm astounded someone could stand back and watch others getting beaten up. I thing its a disgrace that the "witness" didn't even try to stop what happened.

What !!?? ... and let my fish and chips get thrown all over the road !!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

I think it's a sign of how this country has turned for the worst. People don't want to get involved, they don't care who gets hurt or what happens as long as they're nothing to do with it. That sense of duty seems to be long gone. Not just with the public but with the police also who seem to have a baffling array of lines to come out with to explain why nothing can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                    I think it's a sign of how this country has turned for the worst. People don't want to get involved, they don't care who gets hurt or what happens as long as they're nothing to do with it. That sense of duty seems to be long gone. Not just with the public but with the police also who seem to have a baffling array of lines to come out with to explain why nothing can be done.

... but I did want to get involved. I offered to press charges !!

Comment

Working...
                    X