• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Major hack attack foiled on Paris Hilton

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major hack attack foiled on Paris Hilton

Paris Hilton hacker sent to jail

The teenager who reportedly hacked into the mobile phone of socialite Paris Hilton has been sent to jail.

The hacker, who cannot be named because of his age, will serve an 11-month sentence in a juvenile jail.

He will be under supervision for two years following his release, during which time he cannot own a computer or any device that can access the net.

The jail sentence covers a series of crimes committed over a 15-month period.

Ms Hilton is known for her hedonistic lifestyle

Crime spree

In its statement announcing the sentencing of the teenager, the US Department of Justice did not name Ms Hilton as one of the hacker's victims as such details are kept under seal in juvenile cases.

Instead, the statement mentioned "theft of an individual's personal information".

However, law enforcement officials close to the case reportedly confirmed that the sentenced hacker was responsible for stealing and publishing the address book from Ms Hilton's Sidekick gadget.

"Computer hacking is not fun and games"
    - Michael Sullivan, Massachusetts attorney

The names and contact details for celebrities in the address book, including Vin Diesel and Anna Kournikova, as well as pictures of Ms Hilton found their way on to the net thanks to the hacker.

Reports vary on how the teenager got access to Ms Hilton's handset. One account claims he tricked a T-Mobile worker into telling him a password for the firm's internal computer system.

Another claims he tricked an employee into opening an e-mail infected with a virus that helped him get access.

Other crimes committed by the teenager in a 15-month period starting in March 2004 included breaking into the networks of net and telephone firms, and making bomb threats to high schools in Florida and Massachusetts.

The teenager is also thought to be a member of a group that cracked the network of the LexisNexis Group which resulted in the publishing of more than 300,000 consumer records.

Victims of this hack attack are thought to have lost more than $1m between them.

"Computer hacking is not fun and games. Hackers cause real harm to real victims as graphically illustrated in this case," said Michael Sullivan, US attorney for Massachusetts where the teenager's case was tried.

"Would-be hackers, even juveniles when appropriate, should be put on notice that such criminal activity will not be tolerated and that stiff punishments await them if they are caught," he said.

He must have dreamed of getting Hilton as his new girlfriend, but instead his girlfriend's name will be Rock.

Comment

And Bubba
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Ms Hilton is known for her hedonistic lifestyle
        Should read
        "Ms Hilton is known for being a rich dumb slut"

Comment

Eleven months at Club Fed should cool his ardour after he's dropped his soap in the showers a couple of times.

Comment

Could nobody come up with a "better" picture of her?
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Thats more like it!

Now anybody got one of those hazzy green stills?
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                  Thats more like it!

Now anybody got one of those hazzy green stills?

funny - we were sorting out a lients PC the other day, and "she" had the full movie on it! - that made interesting watching material.
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

Any blackmail possibilities in return for some modest "concessions"?

Comment

Working...
                    X