• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oyster card issue : am I being unreasonable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oyster card issue : am I being unreasonable?

I got an Oyster card about 6 months ago. I mostly use a daily rail ticket but its far cheaper to get my local station to London mainline termini than get a travelcard. So I use Oyster for the other odd trips.

Oyster made a mess up with my card : I now need a refund. Next time I use my card the refund with apply. Except I have 7 days to make a journey from Bank Station!

I might not make another journey for months!

After the 7 day window I can specify any other station to pick this up from. In certain circumstances I can get a refund (to credit card or cheque) which is what I will push for.

Why can't they just leave the refund waiting until the next time I swipe my card anywhere? I asked and was told "thats not how the system works".

Why do they make things so complicated? Or am I just being unreasonable and have just won today's Wilmslow award?

by putting a time limit of the refund they have more chance of profiting from the mistake

simple really

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      by putting a time limit of the refund they have more chance of profiting from the mistake

simple really

Milan.
      Maybe I should close my account and switch to a competitor then?

Comment

You could hang around outside Bank, lend the card to someone making a journey and ask them to return it via the post with a cheque for two quid.

win/win

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It's the same idiotic system as applies when you use the web site to add credit to your card: despite the fact that other people manage to do web-based transactions immediately, Oyster makes you wait until the next day, and you have to specify the station at which you collect it by touching the machine.

Even sillier, for stations such as St Pancras, you have to specify whether you'll be using the sub-surface lines or the deep tubes

What about going to Bank, touching in, and just turning around and touching out again? I'm not sure if they'd charge for that. One of the TfL people they have hanging around the barriers would probably know - they're actually quite helpful these days.

Comment

MrsF has £4 waiting to be collected from Kings Cross.

Which she might get to in August, possibly.

Let me know how you get on, BP!
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So I dont win today's Wilmslow award? Not even a canned laughter?

If I am bored tomoroow will wander down to bank and see if I can touch in/out.....

faqqer : will the credit still be there in August? I was told it expires after a week and Mrs faq should get another email telling her this.

Comment

bloody buggers aren't they.. I went to O2 dome place had a quick walk around, went back to canary wharf where I'd come from and couldn't get out. Turned out they'd deducted max fare because I wasn't at the O2 centre long enough!!! WTF

Still haven't been able to coincide the refund with a journey from a specific station but I did wangle an extra £5 out when I do get the refund by complaining how pissing stoopid it was...or not ...as all this was 18 months ago!! (see below)

They never refunded my PAYG balance when I bought a season ticket and by the time I'd realised they'd archived the data and had no realistic way to investigate!

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                  bloody buggers aren't they.. I went to O2 dome place had a quick walk around, went back to canary wharf where I'd come from and couldn't get out. Turned out they'd deducted max fare because I wasn't at the O2 centre long enough!!! WTF
                  I think they did something similar to me when I passed the time waiting for a train at St Pancras by getting on the Circle Line, going all the way round, and getting off again

It took 57 minutes 11 seconds from doors closing to doors opening, FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I think they did something similar to me when I passed the time waiting for a train at St Pancras by getting on the Circle Line, going all the way round, and getting off again

It took 57 minutes 11 seconds from doors closing to doors opening, FWIW
                    I remember a reporter did a piece on this subject. He got a zone 1 travelcard which was refused. He went through the barrier : and got a penalty ticket as he went partially into zone 2!

Comment

Working...
                    X