• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV license

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV license

Hi

I don't particular like the BBC or the way it is funded, I don't like the immorality it promotes, I don't like the repeats, I don't like the biased news coverage (e.g. anti-Israel). I just don't like it.

So I just moved to rent a new property. 3 weeks later those lovely TV license people send me a letter demanding response within 2 weeks.

They tell me the property is unlicensed and I need to either pay up or claim I don't use TV for TV.

So I have a TV in the flat but I don't watch it much plus I use it mainly for xbox etc.

I have no sky subscription just a freeview box.

Think I may have spotted an opportunity to not pay. They say if I claim not to use a TV for TV then they will arrange an appointment to come and check out the property. So I could remove my TV, put it in my car boot, and invite them in and give them a nice cup of tea. They will see no TV. Is this enough to get them off my back? Or do they come back to check again and again- in which case I would refuse them in.

Is it really that simple? If they have state of the art equipment to detect if you have a tv in your flat why would they need to come in and check?

ok ok which of you created this stupid sock puppet?
    Top marks!
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

You asking how to break the law? Seems a bit immoral.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
        I don't particular like the BBC
        The BBC don't think much of you, either

Enjoy your court appearance

Comment

On the assumption this isnt a troll.

No, it wont work. They will come in and not find the telly and go away. In a week or so they will come back and do a spot check with a detector Van or one of their hand held jobbies. A couple of weeks after that you will get a demand for payment and / or a fine for lying in the first place.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If you have a TV you have to pay. whatever you use it for.

Either get rid of the TV or pay up.

Comment

Or move to a country with a more "moral" public broadcaster. North Korea and Saudi Arabia are pretty strict so I've heard.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I keep getting those letters and visits from the TV people but I never answer the door. Not had a licence for 8 years and I have no intention as I do not watch TV. I do like putting them through hassle though because I absolutely hate the BBC propaganda machine !!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  If you have a TV you have to pay. whatever you use it for.

Either get rid of the TV or pay up.
                  No, you only have to pay a licence if you use the TV to watch television programmes as they are aired, or television programmes that have been recorded off the air.

If you only use it for other uses, such as games, watching pre-recorded DVDs, etc, then you do not need a licence.

If you don't watch it much, that is #1, you do need a licence. If you don't watch it at all, you can play nice, or not: you can detune the TV so that it cannot receive broadcasting, and let them verify that. Or you can tell them that you don't need a licence (or tell them nothing), and let them take it from there.

Comment

I'm more than happy to pay my licence fee

Comment

Working...
                    X