• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interviews

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interviews

In light a recent events (for myself) what is the worst interview that you have had.

In my case the interviewer couldn't be bothered asking any leading questions and just got me to "tell him about my cv", leaving me no clue to what they were looking for....
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    In light a recent events (for myself) what is the worst interview that you have had.

In my case the interviewer couldn't be bothered asking any leading questions and just got me to "tell him about my cv", leaving me no clue to what they were looking for....
    The story (from long ago in a galaxy far away) of a mainframe COBOL programmer, batch only, no CICS experience.

1. At the agent's: Agent describes role. Programmer comments, that sounds very like a CICS role. Are you sure it doesn't call for CICS experience? Agent: no, it doesn't ask for any.

2. At the client. Client's first question: tell us about your CICS experience.
    Programmer: I don't have any.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      The story (from long ago in a galaxy far away) of a mainframe COBOL programmer, batch only, no CICS experience.

1. At the agent's: Agent describes role. Programmer comments, that sounds very like a CICS role. Are you sure it doesn't call for CICS experience? Agent: no, it doesn't ask for any.

2. At the client. Client's first question: tell us about your CICS experience.
      Programmer: I don't have any.
      Correct answer is:

My CICS experience is limited compared to my COBOL experience. As you can see from my CV, I don't think this will be a limiting factor in me providing the services you are looking for.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        Correct answer is:

My CICS experience is limited compared to my COBOL experience. As you can see from my CV, I don't think this will be a limiting factor in me providing the services you are looking for.
        To which, I would expect the response: "so, what CICS experience DO you have?"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
          To which, I would expect the response: "so, what CICS experience DO you have?"
          Oh look, is that a bird of prey on the window ledge over there.

(sharp exit).
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Many many years ago had a nightmare at SGI, just had a total and complete brain failure.

"What does CSMA/CD" stand for?"

"err...."

"SCSI?"

"errr..."

etc

It got to the point where I actually said "Look, shall we just stop the interview now. There's no point carrying on" He had the good grace to agree with me.

"Keep them at 24,000"
            "No, feet"

Comment

I was flown out to Stuttgart for an interview once, at the client's expense. Sat down, got out my CV and a few examples of my web development work and code, took the interviewer through it all, explaining it as I went along. After about ten minutes I could see that he was looking a bit worried. Not what I was expecting at all after what the agent had told me about the job [uh oh]. I should have been ideal for the role.

"So, uh, how many servers have you built?" he asked.

"Eh?"

The job had nothing at all to do with web developing.

I imagine that sort of thing has happened to most contractors at some point, but going all the way to Germany to find out was a bit of a blow. Lesson learned and all that.

Comment

Had one last year. First interview with the guy I;d have been working for went great. Ended up running 30 mins over time cos we were just talking crap for the last half hour.

2nd Interview was with the MD. Was decribed as "He's very hands on so you'll need to meet him just so he knows who you are and can give the go ahead."

Guy turned up 20 mins late for the interview blathering into his mobile. Was dressed in a striped brown and yellow suit, dyed spikey blond hair and a fake tan. Spent 20 minutes going on about how wonderfull he was and how lucky I was to be working for him.

I phoned the pimp on my way out and told him I didn't want the job. Had a call from the line manager later wondering why I had turned it down and I told him. His reply was "*sigh* Yeah, we get a lot of that."
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

interviews - Shortest

Many years ago....

After waiting for 1.5 hours while the interviewer drives into work because he did not know he was conducting an interview at C&W, Swindon.

Interviwer: Hello
                  Me: Hello
                  Interviwer: Do you have SC clearance
                  Me: No
                  Interviwer: Ok, we need people who are security cleared
                  Me: OK, I did ask the agent at the agency and he said that it was not required.
                  Interviwer: They are wrong I'm afraid. I'll show you out.
                  Me: Ok, I'll get my coat.

Comment

French bank who found I was an "independent contractor" during the interview.

Long story, but I got the interview on the back of a friend who works at a consultancy who pimp people out like a bodyshop/agency. All went well at first, but when they found I was a proper contractor they seemed to want to tear my technical record apart and somehow rubbish me. I endured an hour of "why this?", "why did you do that?" on minutiae of projects listed on my CV.

Lesson is always be clear upfront on the mandate of the role. I should have had the balls to say "do you have any issues with me being an independent contractor?"
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X