• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear ™ Britain is fooked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear ™ Britain is fooked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-report.html

Britain will suffer the steepest economic slump of any major European economy this year, the European Commission has warned.
    Output will tumble 2.8 per cent in 2009, more than twice the Treasury’s forecasts, it said in a damning report.

That compares with a decline of 1.9 per cent across the euro area, the Commission said in its ‘Interim Forecasts’.

Partly as a result, UK government debt will skyrocket to 72 per cent of the economy by next year – or over £1trillion.

Of the western European economies, only Ireland will suffer a deeper recession, with its output tumbling by 5 per cent.

Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia are the other three laggards, each contracting by at least 4 per cent.

The figures added to a litany of dismal news for Prime Minister Gordon Brown on the day he announced a new bank rescue.

The Commission warned that loans will still be hard to come by and house prices will fall further - having already tumbled 18 per cent over the past year.

The Commission said: ‘The ongoing scarcity of credit and further residential property price falls will constrain growth further in 2009.
    ‘Output is likely to show only a modest recovery in 2010.’

Britain’s waning growth will trigger damaging gains in unemployment, which the Commission expects to hit 8.2 per cent this year – or 2.5million people.

It would have been worse under the Tories mind.

Destroyed by the Labour Party.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
      Nope, by its own people. Who voted for them, not the tree fairies?
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Labour represent the dysfunctional class.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Nope, by its own people. Who voted for them, not the tree fairies?
          There appears to be a slight whiff of a suggestion that the UK is a democracy...

60+ million people in the UK but way less than that voted for him, and little more than a handful for him to be in the position he holds.

Comment

Good news if the EC say we are fooked. They are not exactly famous for knowing what they are talking about so maybe things aren't so bad after all?

I suspect the truth is somewhere between the garbage that the EC come out with and the garbage that the snot-goblin comes out with.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              Good news if the EC say we are fooked. They are not exactly famous for knowing what they are talking about so maybe things aren't so bad after all?

I suspect the truth is somewhere between the garbage that the EC come out with and the garbage that the snot-goblin comes out with.
              Or maybe none of them have a clue and are just spouting bulltulip?
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post

Jim Rogers also thinks the the UK is fooked.

“I would urge you to sell any sterling you might have,” said Jim Rogers, chairman of Singapore-based Rogers Holdings, in an interview with Bloomberg Television. “It’s finished. I hate to say it, but I would not put any money in the U.K.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...fEU&refer=home

I have been diversifing out of the GBP for the last few months.
                Down to just 33% of my cash is GBP, and almost half of that is owed to the tax man.

Comment

Originally posted by dinker View Post
                  You sure its not by Destroyed the greedy fookers who jumped both feet into the housing bubble? The bbc/channel4 location location crowd and all the hard of thinking sheep that watched it and believed it?
                  The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                    You sure its not by Destroyed the greedy fookers who jumped both feet into the housing bubble? The bbc/channel4 location location crowd and all the hard of thinking sheep that watched it and believed it?
                    You mean people like sasguru who profited massively at the expense of other people, by buying cheap and selling high (at the peak)? People like that you mean?

Comment

Working...
                    X