• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Elf and safety innit...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elf and safety innit...

You lot have got me reading the Daily Wail now.

Apparently coastguards must now fill in an elf and safety form before going out on rescues;
    linky
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Don't be ridiculous. The Daily Mail just make that tulip up.

Comment

It's nuggets like this that give my profession a bad name

The type that want to cover backs, ensure the paperwork is ship shape and proper.

There is a certain amount of risk implied in the job when working for any of the emergency services. For boats and especially helecopters and planes, there will already be checklists that you must complete, devised by people who know their job that can be executed efficiently prior to setting off on their rescue. The elf and safety policeman should let the professionals get on with their job, working with them to iron out the riskier elements of the role where appropriate and focusing at all times on the end purpose, saving the lives of people in distress!
      'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post

The type that want to cover backs, ensure the paperwork is ship shape and proper.

There is a certain amount of risk implied in the job when working for any of the emergency services. For boats and especially helecopters and planes, there will already be checklists that you must complete, devised by people who know their job that can be executed efficiently prior to setting off on their rescue. The elf and safety policeman should let the professionals get on with their job, working with them to iron out the riskier elements of the role where appropriate and focusing at all times on the end purpose, saving the lives of people in distress!
        I remember during my military basic training we had a H & S brief before commencing PT. The instructor pointed out that the jump mat represented a trip hazard. Since then I've had absolutely no time for the H & S brigade as it is my experience they are a bunch of muppets stating the bleedin obvious.

Sorry thelace but there you go. Go and get a proper job.
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
          To be fair they’re to be found in any profession or trade. Testers who sell Clients BS methodologies and expensive but non-profitable test tools just to stick a few semi-permanent consultants on seats at inflated rates. I’ve learnt to recognise them quickly and avoid them like the plague.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            I remember during my military basic training we had a H & S brief before commencing PT. The instructor pointed out that the jump mat represented a trip hazard. Since then I've had absolutely no time for the H & S brigade as it is my experience they are a bunch of muppets stating the bleedin obvious.

And why do they (companies/organisations/councils) have to state the obvious? Could it by all the opportunistic abulance chasing no win no fee personal injury lawyers and compensation culture in "not my fault mate you didn't warn me of the hazzard" Britain.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

The Daily Mail - you have to admire they way they pander to the prejudices of Middle England.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Don't be ridiculous. The Daily Mail just make that tulip up.
                No sign of a coastguards houseprice anywhere in that article. Is it definitely from the Mail

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post

Mats appear to be problematic for the elderly. Someone laid a couple on the ground floor lobby to protect the carpet here and at the first AGM it transpired that every single one of the elderly women had tripped up on them, so we got shot of them. The mats that is.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    No sign of a coastguards houseprice anywhere in that article. Is it definitely from the Mail
                    boat prices
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X