• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM qualifications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM qualifications

One for any PM's out there.

What do you consider the most valuable, saleable qualifications at the moment? I'm already PRINCE2 practitioner and ITIL qualified but want to add to take some training. I was thinking MSP practitioner.. Any suggestions???

Learn some basic economics. That will put you one up on our current PM, Gordon the Clueless.

Comment

PMP is quite big on the continent
      Bored.

Comment

Any specific recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
          Any specific recommendations?
          You sound overqualified to me. I thought most PM's were failed brickies and the like. As long as they are physically big (to scare the weedy techies) and can buy a round at team building exercises (the pub), who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            You sound overqualified to me. I thought most PM's were failed brickies and the like. As long as they are physically big (to scare the weedy techies) and can buy a round at team building exercises (the pub), who cares?
            WHS

Plus having PMP will tick the boxes for the weedy hiring managers.

Comment

That reminds me - I have been a PM for 14 years - I must get some certification
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

What do you consider the most valuable, saleable qualifications at the moment? I'm already PRINCE2 practitioner and ITIL qualified
                I think you already have them.

but want to add to take some training. I was thinking MSP practitioner.
                Do you want to be a programme manager? If so, go for it. If not, it could PREVENT you being put forward for project manager roles by dim-witted agents ("too senior").

. Any suggestions???
                When I have this thought (about once a year) I download the entire Jobserve database, pop it into Access (pick your own method here), strip out anything that's non-PM work and then go through looking for common text strings. The conclusion is always PRINCE2, then ITIL. Anything else only appears in a few % of ads.

Instead, why not choose some training either in an area where you feel weak (I did a course yesterday in a particular soft skills area for the benefit of my confidence), or in a subject you find interesting (I booked myself on an ITIL Capacity Planning course last November 'cos I enjoy the subject matter but it got pulled), or in a market sector you fancy working in (accountancy, banking, lingerie manufacture).
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Cheers for the reply Brown. I hear what you're saying re being a Programme Manager and its a question I need to ask myself.

On reflection I think your suggestion of picking up an additional skill in an area that interests me or an area I'm weak in is a good plan. Not sure what that is yet but I'll have a think about it

Comment

Depends on your sector. Try something around Benefits, maybe (Cranfield?), as it will make you stand out a bit.

Having said that, I can't even be bothered to do a PRINCE2 but I get by fine through expertise in my sector (healthcare).

Comment

Working...
                    X