• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying motivated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying motivated

I've got 5 weeks left at ClientCo before the end of a contract that's not going to be extended. I don't want to leave on a sour note because I know there are a few projects in the pipeline come their new financial year that may require some extra resource, but I'm really struggling to stay motivated to do a decent job.

Advice please
    ǝןqqıʍ

Do your utmost not to let it show! Try to be seen to be organised towards ensuring you leave with all assigned work completed, but not more than that. I hate walking away thinking they might only remember my last few unmotivated weeks...

Good luck though
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Just remember if you don't work hard you could end up like AtW
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        I've got 5 weeks left at ClientCo before the end of a contract that's not going to be extended. I don't want to leave on a sour note because I know there are a few projects in the pipeline come their new financial year that may require some extra resource, but I'm really struggling to stay motivated to do a decent job.

Advice please
        This is a carbon copy of my situation even down to the 5 weeks remaining! I recommend the purely financial driven motivational approach i.e. think of the money.

Personally, I'll be disappointed if they renew as I'm keen to get out of the wretched City.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
          This is a carbon copy of my situation even down to the 5 weeks remaining! I recommend the purely financial driven motivational approach i.e. think of the money.

Personally, I'll be disappointed if they renew as I'm keen to get out of the wretched City.
          WHS - Think of the money and a chance to do something else
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Advice please
            Second time today I've felt the need to give this advice;

Man up, do the job you've been contracted for & take the money.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Just remember if you don't work hard you could end up like AtW
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I'm really struggling to stay motivated to do a decent job.

Advice please
                The No 1 key skill in contracting, looking keen when you couldn't give a tulip, I suggest you use the 5 weeks to practice.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  The No 1 key skill in contracting, looking keen when you couldn't give a tulip, I suggest you use the 5 weeks to practice.
                  I'm taking the opportunity to do something entirely pointless that makes me look very busy. Good call
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Advice please
                    That depends on whether you are going to invoice or not.

If not, then I should think you could do what you like.

If you are going to invoice then find £xxx worth of stuff per day that the client will find valuable. Either that or say "Thank you and Good Night." and stop charging them.

Simple really.

Comment

Working...
                    X