• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peace in our Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peace in our Time

From BBC online ....

The UK foreign secretary says military action is still inconceivable against Iran and he hopes diplomacy can solve deadlock over its nuclear programme.

"It is not on the agenda, I happen to think that it is inconceivable," Jack Straw told BBC radio.

Iran insists its nuclear activities are purely peaceful, to produce fuel.

Last week the United Nations nuclear watchdog passed a resolution that took Iran a step closer to sanctions if it did not ease suspicions about its intentions.

The International Atomic Energy Agency resolution orders Iran to suspend enrichment activities, stop building its heavy water nuclear reactor and open up to inspections.

Mr Straw said that European negotiators - with US backing - had "left the door open for further diplomatic action with Iran and I hope that they take this opportunity".

Iran has rejected the IAEA vote, with its foreign minister calling it "political, illegal and illogical".

Tehran is threatening to cease application of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty's additional protocol, which allows snap inspections of nuclear sites, if the IAEA reports Tehran to the Security Council.

A bill has been presented to the Iranian parliament aimed at suspending implementation of the additional protocol until Iran completes the nuclear fuel cycle.

So far, parliament only voted to consider the bill as an urgent piece of legislation and now it goes to several committees.

The BBC's Frances Harrison in Tehran says it is not clear how long the process will take, but if put to a vote in parliament it is certain to be passed.

Iran has signed - but not ratified - the additional protocol.

Tehran recently restarted work on the early stages of uranium enrichment.

Such work had been suspended since November 2004 while talks were held with the UK, France and Germany about its long-term nuclear plans.

Iran hid an uranium enrichment programme for 18 years until its activities were exposed in 2002.

On related note I was wondering how the Israelis developed nuclear weapons without doing any tests (or have they?) as every other nuclear country has had to. Probably got the whole knowhow from the Yanks.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The Israelis had the know how within themselves. They got the dark water from us.
      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
        The Israelis had the know how within themselves. They got the dark water from us.
        Good point. Many of the best old scientists in the USA and USSR were jewish.

Can't say the same about the best UK Foreign Secretaries though!

Comment

Originally posted by Chico

The Israelis acquired the heavy water from the UK viz Norway , much of the technology transfer was in fact from France who during the 50s used Israel as a way of restricting Egyptian power.

Interesting Chico how you always respond when Israel is mentioned, I wonder if ... not I guess better not say.

PS As for testing I am not sure but I hear via the grapevine that Sharon and Blair have struck a deal to test the latest version of the Jericho missile system on Glasgow, the idea being that the place is such a tip that nobody would notice anyway

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 September 2005, 13:37.

Comment

[QUOTE=AlfredJPruffock]The Israelis acquired the heavy water from the UK viz Norway , much of the technology transfer was in fact from France who during the 50s used Israel as a way of restricting Egyptian power.

Interesting Chico how you always respond when Israel is mentioned, I wonder if ... not I guess better not say.[QUOTE]

Alfred something on your mind?
            Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

[QUOTE=Chico][QUOTE=AlfredJPruffock]The Israelis acquired the heavy water from the UK viz Norway , much of the technology transfer was in fact from France who during the 50s used Israel as a way of restricting Egyptian power.

Interesting Chico how you always respond when Israel is mentioned, I wonder if ... not I guess better not say.

Alfred something on your mind?

Good heavens no nothing could be further from the truth can I just say at this point what an excellent job Tony Blair is doing ???

Comment

Alfred I shall pass your salutation to our great leader next time I see him.
                Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Im a much obliged man Chico , tell Tony that was a wizard idea to bill Israel to use Glasgow as nuclear weapons test site , hush hush mind !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X