• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If my Client wants to loan me equipment, but get me to buy it...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If my Client wants to loan me equipment, but get me to buy it...

I need a MacBook for a project which has to run Mac/Windows. I'm working as a real business, hiring people and so on, not a contractor.

The client is happy to get me a MacBook to work on, but he's in HongKong so buying it in the UK is preferable to shipping it 1000s of miles. I imagine the plan is it will belong to him in theory i.e. he eventually gets it back. But he's quite keen for me to buy it and charge him, both for convenience and because I can theoretically claim the VAT back and make it cheaper.

But is that allowed? If my company buys a Mac and I charge him £1000 for "technical equipment" it belongs to my company. If I then give it to him at the end since it's unofficially a long-term loan, am I setting myself up for a fall if I ever get investigated and they ask where my Mac is?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Buy it, then immediately sell it to him... it should be a simple matter of buying goods then selling goods, many businesses do this.

Do not claim the laptop as an expense from the client, as it is a sale of goods not an expense, probably simpler to invoice for it seperately from your usual billing.

Once the laptop sale to the HK client has been agreed then you can treat it as his property and if he wants you to use it - so be it.

at the end of the contract, it will have to be either shipped back, or if he doesn't want the hassle then you've got yourself a free macbook
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

It should be simple, draw up a contract with the customer selling him the mac, delivery date to be specified, subject to delivery charges applicable at the time, and raise an invoice for the corresponding amount.

If an auditor comes along show him the invoice and the contract.
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I'm working as a real business, hiring people and so on, not a contractor.
        Its interesting that you are using a contractors forum for business questions, perhaps there are no other forums like this and highlights the need for one?

Comment

Its no different to PC world selling your company a PC.

YourCo buys the Mac from PC World (say) for £1000 + VAT = £1,150
          YourCo claims the £150 back from the VATman
          YourCo cost = £1,000

You sell the Mac to your client for £1000 + VAT = £1,150
          YourCo gives the VATman £150
          YourCo profit = £0

YourCo does not own the Mac, it has bought and sold it, same as PCWorld.
          At the end of the gig, return the Mac to its owner (your client).

Or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post

YourCo cost = £1,000

YourCo profit = £0

It is different - PC World would make a profit!

Also, what other big companies do in this situation is put an admin / handling charge on top!

Comment

But is that allowed? If my company buys a Mac and I charge him £1000 for "technical equipment" it belongs to my company.
              Why would you think that, "you paying for it", you charging him for it" leads to "you owning it".

As the joke goes, "choose two".

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post

YourCo cost = £1,000

YourCo profit = £0

That works, but I think he's after paying the VAT-free price. If I sell it to him and he's outside a VAT zone, VAT is still payable since I'm in the UK?

So unless he wants me to keep the Mac the VAT has to be paid in some way, right? If I keep it and just charge him it in expenses, that would be OK but now he can't have it as it belongs to me.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

That works, but I think he's after paying the VAT-free price. If I sell it to him and he's outside a VAT zone, VAT is still payable since I'm in the UK?

So unless he wants me to keep the Mac the VAT has to be paid in some way, right? If I keep it and just charge him it in expenses, that would be OK but now he can't have it as it belongs to me.
                  I think if the answer is not on HMRC's website that is a question for the accountant!

Comment

If I sell it to him and he's outside a VAT zone, VAT is still payable since I'm in the UK?
                    That's certainly not my understanding. Supplies outside the VAT zone are VAT-free.

Comment

Working...
                    X