• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maternity Rights for a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maternity Rights for a contractor

Hi,

I have been contracting for 10 years, more recently through an umbrella company, and have just found out I am pregnant (joyfully ).

Whilst I have earnt reasonable pay over the last 10 years, interspersed with travelling, I want to be aware of whatever benefits I am entitled to as I have as much right as anyone to claim them.

I am not married and am not currently living with my partner, although it is something that we are considering seriously at the moment. I do have a mortgage.

If anyone could point me in the direction of any good resources online or tell me what I can claim I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,
    Karen

You will be given a comprehensive book all about it when your health visitor makes his/her first visit (about week 15-ish). In a nutshell, you have the same right to statutory maternity leave (6 weeks @ 90%, 12 weeks @ ca. £110/week, 8 weeks unpaid) as anybody else. It is, of course, your employer (your own ltd, umbrella, whoever that is), who pays the paid portion and reclaims that back off the government.

Comment

Hi Lucifer,

Thanks for that! I shall wait for the book. I am a little out of my depth here - given that I won't be able to go back to work for a while I could do with some advice about how to approach the benefit system in general.

Thanks,
      Karen

Comment

Ante-natally speaking, it's the statutory maternity pay aspect (unless you are so impoverished you are claiming Working Tax Credit as well), but that will be administered by your umbrella as they are your employer. You are required to give 15 weeks notice of when you intend to start your maternity leave, but no idea how flexible your umbrella will be about that. You need to speak to them to make sure they know what to do and won't shirk their responsibilities.

As soon as your little bundle of joy arrives it's family allowance, child tax credit and this baby bond thing.

Oh, and don't forget to vote New Labour in gratitude;

Lucifer.

Comment

I could do with some advice about how to approach the benefit system in general.
          Much like when one has a rat cornered.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
          X