• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Problem with my billions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with my billions

Can some more fanancially savy people out there help me on this as I'm getting a little confused.

When British papers like the times talk of bailling out the banks for billions of pounds I assume they mean British billions - American trillions. Or do they really mean "thousand million/milliard?"

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    Can some more fanancially savy people out there help me on this as I'm getting a little confused.

When British papers like the times talk of bailling out the banks for billions of pounds I assume they mean British billions - American trillions. Or do they really mean "thousand million/milliard?"
    should be
    1,000,000,000 = 1 billion
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 20 January 2009, 13:26. Reason: missed out a zero
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

They mean a thousand million.

I think the "British" billion (one million million) fell out of usage many years ago.

Comment

No one uses old british billions any more. A billion is a thousand million.

Not least our government who have now moved on to trillions.

Comment

It's certainly my perception that the old British definition of Billion has fallen from use in favour of the US definition.

Billion = 1,000,000,000 (1 thousand million) in most if not all uses these days.

Comment

I don’t think the bankers really know and I wonder if it really matters as it'll never be paid off. Mathematicians are busy inventing new large numbers to work out how much money has really been lost. Think bazillions, quazillions, chavillions and gordonillions. All more than a googolplex, which is ten to the power of a googol (a googol is ten to the power of a hundred).
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              They mean a thousand million.

I think the "British" billion (one million million) fell out of usage many years ago.
              Given Gordon's current plight, it might yet be reintroduced to keep the number down.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Its good to know we can leave something to our granchildren so they will remember us.....

Comment

I've never seen anyone refer to a billion as anything except 10^9 (a thousand million) in real life. I'm sure some patriotic diehards somewhere do though, if only to be awkward.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

How disappointing, I thought this was a thread about DP.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X